Planet X Pro Carbon SRAM Rival Road Bike vs Ultegra 6700

kwmlodozeniec
kwmlodozeniec Posts: 26
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Looking at a couple of bikes:

Planet X Pro Carbon SRAM Rival Road Bike http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPRIV13/planet-x-pro-carbon-sram-rival-road-bike
Planet X Pro Carbon Shimano 6700 Ultegra Road Bike http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FBPXSLPSHULT/planet-x-pro-carbon-shimano-6700-ultegra-road-bike

Budget is £1000 so both are ideal. Not sure about which one to choose. Not quite clued up on wheels and other bits so would like some advice as to which one would be a better choice in terms of overall spec.

Thanks in advance.

Kris

Comments

• The Rival version has an extreme range of gears
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • I think 28 on the Ultegra variant would be sufficient, although the 32 on SRAM is tempting from "just in case" point of view. What about the wheels and potential upgradeability? Never had SRAM so not sure how reliable their stuff is. Super confused as geometry is essentially the same since both share the same frame.
  • If you haven't ridden either and have no brand loyalty, Rival is SRAM's 3rd tier groupset, Ultegra is Shimano's 2nd tier set so the Shimano option is the better long term buy. The FSA wheels on the SRAM bike are slightly more expensive than the Shimano wheels but if you plan on keeping the bike and making some upgrades over time the wheels will probably be the first thing to change. I have been riding my PX Pro carbon after having it out of service for some time. I fitted it out with some second hand Ultegra gears and newish Ultegra wheels (excellent wheels to consider) and it is just as good as I remembered. A great bike, whichever you choose I am sure you will be delighted with it.
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    Might be worth looking at the different hoods of SRAM and Shimano and also the different ways they change gear. One may suit you more than the other - I don't like the feel and shape of SRAM hoods and am personally not a great fan of the double tap mechanism. You may have different preferences.

Another thing to consider is that there may be bigger jumps between gears on the SRAM option if it goes up to 32 teeth on the rear cassette.

Both look great deals though, so you are unlikely to go wrong whichever you choose.
  • On all my previous bikes, although this new buy would be by far the best bike I have ever owned, I had Shimano gear. I'm used to the two lever arrangement and I think Shimano hoods offer a little more support as they seems more "chunky" to me. I think I have made my mind up. Will report back once the bike has arrived.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    SRAM is excellent. SRAM's four groupsets are graded differently to the likes of Campagnolo and Shimano who have several within their ranges. Even the entry level Apex is solid and reliable aimed at Shimano's entry up to and including Tiagra groupsets. Rival, as what someone called their 3rd tier groupset, is aimed at 105 and Ultegra and is every bit as good in quality and function. They just operate differently. The SRAM shift system is double tap and for plenty of riders, instinctive. One lever to do everything and a brake lever that doesn't move. The hoods are comfortable and for me with small hands, mean I can operate the brakes and shifting from the hoods or drops, something I can't do with Campagnolo and their button shift. The 32 tooth cassette is overkill with a 50/34. You'll find yourself spinning plenty but hardly going forward even on a steep hill. The range between the gears is also not comfortable. Better to ask them to stick a 12-28 on instead which I'm sure they will do if you choose the SRAM option.

But SRAM are not crap and despite being the next groupset up from the entry standard, Rival is not an inferior option to Ultegra.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I have a couple of bikes with Sram on, one being a PX Pro Carbon with Sram Rival 11/26 which I have ridden for a few years now and I can't fault it.
    As philthy3 mentioned have a word with them and they might change the cassette for you.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    edited August 2014
    You should also have a look at the Dolan L'Etape. They are doing a version now with the new 22 speed Rival with the full groupset unlike the PX which has FSA chainset, and also for £999. I'm actually considering one myself when my C2W option becomes available again in around 6 weeks! You can change cassette, chainset, wheel, bar spec at the point of order as well or do a fully custom build with anything that Shimano, Sram or Campag have to offer. Standard wheels are Aksiums which are ok as well!

I have a mix of Rival and Apex on my current bike and I love the double tap by the way although I also like the Shimano equipped bikes I've tried as well, just prefer the Sram overall, especially the hoods.

Someone will be along to say that the geometry is quite aggressive on the Dolan but from what I can see looking at the spec it's actually identical to the PX Pro Carbon, at least for the Large 52cm which is what I would need, not sure about other sizes.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    If you can get a 28 cassette on the Rival set up then this should be your first choice... by some margin.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    THe Dolan looks better. Newer frame, better groupset and better wheels.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Just had an offer email from Planet X, they are doing a pre-built limited edition Rival version of the Pro Carbon for £899. :shock:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FBPXSLPSRAM/planet-x-pro-carbon-sram-limited-edition-road-bike

Seriously cheap bike with a few compromises like the A57 wheels, I think I still prefer the 11 speed Dolan for £100 more though.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • paul64
    paul64 Posts: 278
    philthy3 wrote:
    SRAM is excellent. SRAM's four groupsets are graded differently to the likes of Campagnolo and Shimano who have several within their ranges. Even the entry level Apex is solid and reliable aimed at Shimano's entry up to and including Tiagra groupsets. Rival, as what someone called their 3rd tier groupset, is aimed at 105 and Ultegra and is every bit as good in quality and function. They just operate differently. The SRAM shift system is double tap and for plenty of riders, instinctive. One lever to do everything and a brake lever that doesn't move. The hoods are comfortable and for me with small hands, mean I can operate the brakes and shifting from the hoods or drops, something I can't do with Campagnolo and their button shift. The 32 tooth cassette is overkill with a 50/34. You'll find yourself spinning plenty but hardly going forward even on a steep hill. The range between the gears is also not comfortable. Better to ask them to stick a 12-28 on instead which I'm sure they will do if you choose the SRAM option.

But SRAM are not crap and despite being the next groupset up from the entry standard, Rival is not an inferior option to Ultegra.
    Sums it up for me although I only know 6500/6600 generation Ultegra. Many of these threads say it comes down to the levers, perhaps also which compromises you accept more easily.

I would be content with my Rival 10 speed groupset if the LH shifter change from small to large ring were easier, after 4 years I still don't like it and a change of cables crisped all the shifting but doesn't change that personal irritation. Otherwise, I love the SRAM lever shape and feel, the brakes are as good as dual pivot rim braking gets for my taste and I like that I can pull in the inner levers to make change throw shorter. Hidden cable set-up works nicely.

I would be content with my Ultegra SL 10 speed groupset if it didn't feel so mushy and benign. Lever shape and feel is okay, all gear changes are easy and it has the trademark LH ease of change from small to large chainring. Sideways shift of whole lever is simple and I generally prefer this on the hands in colder full-gloved weather. But there's no quality feedback at all so you don't get a tactile experience. This Exposed cable set-up generation chosen as there is much web history of dissatisfaction about the trade-offs brought about in the 6700 hidden cable set-up.

I am very forgiving towards my Dura Ace 9 speed groupset. I don't like the levers that much, less comfortable for longer rides than either of the above. But the quality and tactile feedback is felt through every gear change and I love it every time I ride it.

I like my Campag Record Ti 9 speed groupset, partly because it's classic Campag and partly for its quality. I like the trim on the left lever, I like the robustness of changes without the strong-spring crudeness that the SRAM set-up auto-suggests when changing, I like the small lever changing again with more comfortable inner lever shape for my taste against the Rival.

All have pros and cons and I am lucky to have the comparisons regularly. If I could I would choose the SRAM shaped levers and braking, the Campag buttons, inner lever shape, quick release in the hoods and design and the class feel of the Dura Ace 7700.

I have never really thought about the mechs or cassette, they all seem to do their job.

This is probably the point where someone else comes in and says that Ultegra, DA or one of the Campag EPS set-ups now gives everything I have described!
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    A Force yaw front mech will solve all SRAM shifting issues. Can be a bit tricky to setup mind.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • StillGoing
    A Force yaw front mech will solve all SRAM shifting issues. Can be a bit tricky to setup mind.

+1. I switched booth front mechs on my bikes to SRAM Force Yaw 22 even though the bikes are both 10 speed. It makes the front shifting much sweeter and gives better clearance for those infrequent moments when cross chaining is preferable to messing about with the front ring for a short climb. It also helps if you reduce the number of teeth between the front rings.
  • I'd be interested to know what you go for and what you think about it. I took my PX pro carbon out for a ride today, 54m with 1,000m of climbing. I think it is too easy to stress about the groupset, either option you have is decent. My second hand Ultegra 6700 was absolutely fine and as good as ever today. Only thing I would add is I am 5'10", 32" inside leg and I could probably get away with a small model rather than medium with a 100mm stem which is what my bike is. I would suggest that if you are long in the leg you could ride a size down from what the PX size table suggests.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    huwdolphin wrote:
    Only thing I would add is I am 5'10", 32" inside leg and I could probably get away with a small model rather than medium with a 100mm stem which is what my bike is. I would suggest that if you are long in the leg you could ride a size down from what the PX size table suggests.
    I ride a small Pro Carbon at 5'5" and a friend at 5'9" slightly smaller in seam than yours (31.5") rides a medium which is bang on size for him and looks right, he looks like a bear on a kids bike sat on mine :)
  • For me the Dolan wins if you are happy with the higher price for 11 speed (if not go for the Rival PX which is a great deal). Rival 22, Aksiums and a decent frame on the Dolan should keep you happy for a long time. The Ultegra PX comes with Shimano R501 wheels which are IMO a level below the PX/Dolan options.

I've run Ultegra & Rival 10 speed and prefer the shifting action and preciseness of Rival - though Ultegra does have a nice sturdy quality feel to it. The Aksiums I ran were light enough & bullet proof too, I think that the PX A57's should be just as strong but perhaps a little slower to spin up.
  • StillGoing
    If the amount of time it's taking Planet X to go from ordering to picking my sodding wheels out is anything to go by, I'd go elsewhere. Speed is not something I'd associate with their service when you compare them to other on line retailers.
  • Ordered the Ultegra variant and it was delivered on Friday. Had to adjust the brakes a bit as they weren't aligned properly. Not a big deal but would be nice to have everything setup straight of the bat. I'm 5'11 with fairly short legs so went for large frame and it fits perfectly. I was worries about the 28t sprocket but after going for a morning ride on Saturday it was clear that I can do everything I've done on my hybrid so far so that's all good. I'm very happy with the Ultegra shifting, it seems positive and robust. The frame is very stiff which is nice when you're putting the power through on a sprint or a climb. Fork seems to be absorbing most bumps in the road despite 23mm tyres. Brake pads could be better I think but they're not too bad. It's my first road bike so not quite used to the pedals yet, had SPDs on my hybrid so it was a little easier to clip ip and out. However, I can feel the difference with the larger platform to push on and a solid shoe sole, much more comfortable on a longer ride in my opinion. The saddle is really comfy as saddles go, very narrow but with proper cycling shorts it gives enough support. The slight cutout in the middle seems to be making a difference in my opinion. Overall I'm very pleased with my purchase although I only had for a couple of days. I'm happy to share more experiences as time goes or answer any specific questions about this bike.