redrabbit
redrabbit Posts: 95
edited August 2014 in Road beginners
Got my road bike about 6 weeks ago, been out for 4 rides now:

ride 1) 20 miles
ride 2) 25 miles
ride 3) 31 miles (2 weeks ago)
ride 4) 23 miles/2hrs (today)

I'm doing a 50 mile sportive in September.

I'm primarily into powerlifting and bodybuilding. I've found that (particularly and mainly today), my lower back was very uncomfortable. The other rides I could feel it stretching but today it ached.

I feel fine now. I was sitting up for most of it, and tried moving around in different positions but it was just uncomfortable for the whole ride. It was the worst ride I've done so far.

I understand it takes time to get used to, but thought with my 4th ride, I was kinda pushing on a bit. I guess it didn't help that today it was windy as anything and not very great weather. As a result I was far more concious of the time spent outside.

Back feels fine now, went to the gym after the ride, but not looking forward to getting back on.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Are you recounting a story, or asking a question?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Have read up on bike fit / setup. Unfortunately road bikes need to be setup up quite accurately unlike mountain bikes. If you get the saddle at the right height , fore / aft position on the rails then all you need to do is set the reach and drop to the bars to suit your preference from touring to a racing position.
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    I had this problem after certain mileage getting back pain so started doing core strength exercises and after a few months it has gone and a lot more comfortable on the bike all round. Good luck.
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    Could be core strength.
    Could be just getting used to the bike or could be bike fit. Presuming the bike isn't too small for you - causing you to hunch up in the middle? Sometimes stretched out whilst it may feel unnatural, can be better for you back.
    Also balance is important so you fore/aft position should balance your body and put little to no weight on your wrists/arms or lower back. Simple test, ride along slowly, hold you feet level at 3 and 9 O'Clock, hands on hoods, now without changing position slowly take your hands a few mm or a cm off the hoods so you're holding yourself up without using your hands. If you fall forward, it's a sign you're not balanced and highlights the weight your wrists/arms and lower back are holding up. If you fall forward, adjust the fore/aft position to push your weight back as this will balance you more and take weight off you wrists/arms and lower back. Sounds backwards but it worked for me and for others and for ages before if I got a bad back I thought it was because I was too stretched out and so had previously pushed the seat forward, which just made it worse.