BB30 compatibility (yawn)

vermin
vermin Posts: 1,739
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Noob question - please help:

Cannondale Caad (BB30) currently has FSA Omega compact crankset. I prefer a standard double and happen to have a spare Cannondale Hollowgram SI double crankset which I would like to use.

Can I simply pull the FSA crankarm, spider and chainrings off and slap the Hollowgram on in its place? Will the Hollogram crankarm simply mate with whatever spindle is already installed, or will I have to remove the spindle and put the Hollowgram specific one in its place?

Hint: Assume I really, really want to use the existing spindle if at all possible.

If this is all too complicated, I also have a couple of Shimano threaded chainsets I could use instead (a D/A 7800 and Raceface). What would I need to install these?

Thanks

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    You could be in luck
    http://media.cannondale.com/media/Manua ... ent_en.pdf

removing the existing FSA bb30 cranks off is a 2 minute job.. so nothing lost in trying to see if the other fits.
    To fit threaded.. you can get adapters.
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    I think you'll need a Cannondale spindle as only the non drive side of FSA cranks come off whereas I think both the Cannondales do.
  • simonj
    If you don't have the original Cannondale spindle (???) then you can buy them (best check compatibility with your exact model) for €50 :-

http://www.cannondaleexperts.com/Cannon ... p_198.html

Better than a Shimano 24mm spindle and adaptor I'd say
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Thanks for answers. Has given me a starter at least. May go with the 24mm adaptor - will this help avoid the BB30 creaks?
  • simonj
    If you're still using he BB30 bearings there's a chance, although my creaks aren't that bad and are mainly due to road crud getting between the bearings and spindle and are easily cleaned out. The conversions like Praxis that replace bearings and convert are best I think. Where as the simpler spindle shims like FSA, whilst may work, may not stop all the issues BB30 has. A Felt I had came with the FSA ones and I never had an issue, although I've had many bikes with BB30 and have never had an issue. BB30 dies have a few issues, but it's not that bad, especially if you know how to pull the spindle out, clean, regrease and put back.

If it were me I'd stick with the Hollowgram and BB30.