Upgrading from Sora 9 speed

fraseross
fraseross Posts: 14
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Im looking to upgrade my bike from Sora and looking replace majority of parts except the brakes with 105.
Due to this moving away from the current 9 speed set up it has, would I best to put 11 speed on it or just put use a 10 speed set up and take advantage of the reduced prices just now or future proof myself with 11 speed?

First time I've found myself needing to upgrade during a shift in standards so wondering what general opinion would be.
Reason for upgrading as some of the parts are getting very tired and worn (shifts and derailleurs) and would like to treat myself to an improvement in parts.

Thanks

Comments

• lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Do your wheels take 11 speed?
  • davecara
    davecara Posts: 104
    As above, I replaced my worn out Sora 9sp with a mix of Ultegra and 105 10sp. Easy enough to do and when I upgrade my wheels I'll be sure to get an 11sp freehub!
  • They are the stock wheels that came with the bike so i have my reservations as to if they would.

Im more than happy to just go to 10 speed as i'm doubtful over how much another gear could do me any good when i'm used to 9. Although i'm not wanting to get left behind in terms of 10 speed parts availability (if it gets phased out fast) or fall into a money pit of replacing every part of my bike.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    11 speed 105 (5700) is the same price as 10 speed 105 (5800). So, unless you're buying second hand, there is no money to be saved by going 10 speed. Assuming your wheels work with 11 speed.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • They are the stock wheels that came with the bike (2010 specialized allez). Is there anyway to determine if an 11 speed would fit onto the wheel or is a trip to the LBS in order to find out?
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    I don't think 11 speed was available in 2010, so no, it won't fit.
  • cheers. 10 speed it is then!