Old vs new S-Works shoes

rc856
rc856 Posts: 1,144
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi folks,

I currently use S-Works shoes that have the 2 Boa fasteners and I do like them but find that as the ride goes on, I end up loosening the lower Boa loads. I have to do this as I guess my feet swell and the shoes get uncomfortable.

I'm thinking of getting Sidi shoes inside that have the ratchet and 2 Velcro tabs but realised the new S-Works have 2 Boa parts and a Velcro tab.

Has anyone used both S-Works? How do they compare? I'd like to stick with what I know without having to loosen off so much.

Cheers

Comments

• bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Only ever used the new (2013 on) S Works, but I never touch the velcro part.

Mine are super comfy. I don't tighten them much to begin with, but progressively over the 1st 5km or so, until my feet don't move at all in them.

Only very rarely, and on longer rides (100km+) have I ever felt the need to loosen slightly.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,177
    i'm sure it depends entirely on individual fit, but personally i find the 2013 a great disappointment

i found the previous model was a great fit and comfy

the new ones have an absurdly large toe-box, using the velcro strap to try and adjust fit just results in a huge crease in the upper, they are a completely different fit to the previous version

also, the heel pads are flimsy and do not protect the cf at the heels, in under a year i'm on the second set of pads and even then the cf of the heel is badly damaged, whereas the previous version was still ok after 3 years

for me, the new version is a huge step backwards
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Cheers.

Interesting stuff. I never have the shoes that tight to start with but still loosen off a lot.

I'll try some Sidis on as well.

Cheers
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    sungod wrote:
    i'm sure it depends entirely on individual fit, but personally i find the 2013 a great disappointment

i found the previous model was a great fit and comfy

the new ones have an absurdly large toe-box, using the velcro strap to try and adjust fit just results in a huge crease in the upper, they are a completely different fit to the previous version

also, the heel pads are flimsy and do not protect the cf at the heels, in under a year i'm on the second set of pads and even then the cf of the heel is badly damaged, whereas the previous version was still ok after 3 years

for me, the new version is a huge step backwards

Glad it isn't just me to think the toe box is huuuuuge. It makes no sense, ridiculous proportions.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Odd, I guess people have very differently shaped feet!

'Cos if I do ever feel tightness it's at my 4th and 5th toes, so I guess my toes must be filling the box! (i.m a 41).