Are there two sizes of Campag free hub?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited August 2014 in Workshop
What does the free hub for small axles mean? Do some Campag wheels have thinner axles and therefore need a different freehub? All the campag wheels I have come across are the same.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• on-yer-bike
    Im hoping someone can answer this?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Lower end wheels use a 12mm steel axle, think Khamisin, scirocco's fulcrum 7's and 5's. Zonda's and above are the high end models and use the oversize alloy axle as found in the record hubs in fact they share the same internal and require the same freehub body. So when buying get the right one.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • on-yer-bike
    Lower end wheels use a 12mm steel axle, think Khamisin, scirocco's fulcrum 7's and 5's. Zonda's and above are the high end models and use the oversize alloy axle as found in the record hubs in fact they share the same internal and require the same freehub body. So when buying get the right one.
    I bought one on ebay new and its the 12mm version, the wrong one. What is the black metal tube that comes with it? Will it fit Bullets? Thanks
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I would assume it's a shim that allows your freehub to stay in place and not wobble around.
    I don't think it will fit the Bullet, which are mid to high end in Campagnolo range. Have a look at the technical drawings just in case
    left the forum March 2023