Cracked Mavic Ksyrium Elite....help!

jamesallinson
jamesallinson Posts: 3
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Hi all, first post and i'm after advice i'm afraid.

I've just been doing some cleaning/maintenance and found a crack in the rim of the rear wheel on my Mavic Kysrium Elite S. Pic included (I Hope).

Obviously I don't want to ride the bike in this condition and a quick look online would suggest i'm not the only one to suffer cracking with the Elite S rear rim. Mavic appear to wash their hands of customer service and pass it on to their distributors but for some reason I don't have the e-mail from my purchase (February/March-ish 2013) so although I think the wheels are under warranty (standard is 2 years) I can't prove where or when I bought them. I know, what a doughnut!

The issue I have now (assuming I can't find the receipt) is do I spend £250 on a replacement? Given the history with these wheels cracking i'm a bit reluctant to do that. Can it be repaired? Evidence would suggest that will cost almost as much as a replacement wheel or, do I just accept it, sell the front one and parts for the rear on ebay and buy a new set of something completely different?

Any thoughts greatfully received.

Cheers.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Do you remember where you bought them? Worth contacting the retailer as they might have better memory than you... maybe you have an account with them?

It can't be repaired and you need a new rim, which is uneconomical at best... so you better find that email...
    left the forum March 2023
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If you can't find the email, just log into your account with every shop you ever use - it should be listed there......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Or check your bank/paypal statements.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Was this wheel model available to purchase more than 2 years ago? If not, then, res ipsa loquitur, it is within the warranty period. The warranty is with Mavic. Beat their door down.
  • Thanks for responding!

It came down to credit card statements in the end but I have found out who I bought them from. It is also still within two years (bought them April/May last year) so it should be covered under the warranty. I've just fired off an e-mail to the shop I bought them from so will see what happens. It sadly appears to be a pretty common issue with these wheels so i'll report back how I get on for anyone in the same boat.

Cheers & thanks again,

J