Suggestions of a new bike ($2500, mid-level, aero/endurance)

robgriffin247
robgriffin247 Posts: 22
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Looking for some suggestions on a new bike, here's the criteria... I live in a very flat windy area and most rides are in the region of 60-120 km, not a racer but like to do some sportives & push myself pretty hard so a decent but not top-end groupset needed. Buying before the end of the coming winter so would like to buy before late February 2015 - so 2015 models can be considered.

Budget: ~$2500-3000 (US$) maybe a bit more if it includes good wheelset or makes a significant difference to quality.

Frame: Semi-aero/Endurance more important than extreme lightweight (I don't need to have the most aero bike ever developed, and comfort should be a serious consideration. Despite loving to ride up mountains it makes no sense to get something suited to a small amount of my riding because that is only for holidays so lightness is not the priority here).

Materials: Probably carbon frame and forks

Groupset & Breaks: Mechanical (not electronic) somewhere around the level of Shimano 105 (new 5800 series) or Ultegra, SRAM Rival or Force.

Wheelset: Aero but not very deep rimmed, and highly reliable. I want these to last a long time, have a good reputation for strength & reliability etc., and because of the strong winds I don't want too deep rims - crosswinds!

Brakes: Mechanical disc or rim are fine, perhaps you can sway me one way or the other ;)

Aesthetics: Not the most important issue but probably more to a cleaner type of style (simple graphics, straighter tubes etc.) and available in dark colours - easier to keep clean, current bike has black dirt in all the tiny paint damage and it just irritates me because it never looks perfect!

Me: 186 cm and 70-77 kg (depending on time of year & training) quite powerful legs and good up short bursting climbs (normally give the local team riders in my group rides something to think about in playful mini sprints on the small local hills). Not a brand snob so Shimano and Specialized can be considered equally with Campagnolo and Bianchi - i.e. as long as it represents good value and a wise choice, I don't care what badge it wears!!! :)

I've tried to be as thorough as possible but I may have missed something important - just ask if you want