pimple my ride

beefrisk
beefrisk Posts: 18
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
lets pretend i know nothing ( as i actually do ! ) and I'm looking to pimp up my Rockhopper of 8 years old ! Been to a few shops and asked a few people and getting told best things to change are the Wheels , Brakes and little bits and pieces.

Basically ride in the local woods and when i can Bedgebury and Bewl water in Kent. Nothing to dangerous or hardcore

Looking at wheels and haven't got a clue what I'm looking at or whats better so over to the good peeps of BR to let me know the score !

Tubeless or not ? and what wheels for £300 or less ?? Once we sort this out we can then discuss the rest !

26" wheels btw and I'm a heavy lump !

Cheers good people !

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What does the bike not do as well as you want? Any change should make it an upgrade for you and your riding.

Generally I would look at wear and tear items first, as many will need replacing anyway, otherwise wheels and forks are the usual biggest upgrades assuming you are happy with the tyres you have, although decent folding tyres will give a nicer ride, grip better and save more weight than wheels for less money.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • beefrisk
    the bike does what i want but its always nice to pimp it a little and make it mine rather than what the makers want it to be like. Lighter and stronger would be my best answer as I'm a big fella that scrambles about like a scalded cat when given the opportunity. I'm just one of those people that need to be told what to get ! choice is a killer
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    New forks first. Something like a Reba will save about a KG over stock
  • beefrisk
    good start ! the guy in Evans said no point in getting new forks and i did think he was talking porkies ! ! Simple maths if the forks weigh a ton change em !
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Depends what forks yours has, the last 06 hopper I looked at had Manitou Axel on them, so any air forks will be a lighter by about 1/2kg, but different versions of the hopper had different forks.

What tyres do you have?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • beefrisk
    im sure its these forks

RockShox Tora 302 SL, 100mm, 32mm Cr-Mo stanchions, alloy steerer, mag lower, coil spring, preload adjust, lockout w/ rebound adjust

and these wheels

Specialized/Alex, RHD 26, double wall, disc w/ eyelets with fast track wheels
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    By the time you've spent £600 or £700 on upgrades, you could probably buy a new bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • beefrisk
    but cheaper than spending £1000 + on a better newer bike ?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    If I was replacing fork and wheels I would go for a bolt through fork of some sort and wheels to match - get a 15mm bolt through to stiffen things up at the front.

Something like this:http://www.merlincycles.com/rockshox-reba-rl-forks-26-58507.html in the straight not tapered steerer - these are 120mm which could work on the hopper but could easily be spaced down to 100mm also.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I've got a 120mmm Reba RL, a pair of Stan's Arch EX on Superstar Trizoid hubs and Continental Black Chili tyres on my '06 'hopper and they all work very well together.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • beefrisk
    So went for these from superstar components

S25 MAVIC 721 150 26 BLACK RIM Tank 150 BLACK Race Spoke Brass

after much forum checking and speaking with people in shops this seemed the best deal ! now to sort out the forks ! !

Cheers peeps
  • Chunkers1980
    Oh dear. I don't think they will fit your frame.
  • beefrisk
    i would like to think they will as these were recommended by the guys that work there ! Why do you think these wont fit out of interest ?
  • Chunkers1980
    You have a RHer frame? A Tank hub is from what I can see 150 OLD yours is 135 OLD?
  • beefrisk
    here is my lack of knowledge ! whats 150OLD and 135OLD ?
  • Chunkers1980
    Over Locknut Distance. Basically 15mm too long and not QR fixing.

http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html
  • beefrisk
    WHOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO

Just spoke to the shop and the guy even realised i picked the wrong option ! he amended my order without letting me know ! ! What a nice bloke ! and what nice peeps on here ! ! never lose faith in humans ! always will be decent people out there !

Cheers all 135's on the way !