Cycle Computer Mounted On Rear Wheel? Cateye Micro Wireless

EX360G
EX360G Posts: 6
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I am new to the forum and this is my very first post so please forgive me if it's in the wrong section.

I am planning to buy a new (to me) Trek 4700 D 2013 at the end of this week. I will be riding this bike to college and back every day so I'd like a cycle computer to track my speed and see if I improve as time passes. I think I've decided on the Cateye Micro Wireless computer as it is within my budget and has all the features I am looking for. The only problem is I don't want the sensor on the front whee. I wheelie a lot when I'm riding so if the sensor was on the front I wouldn't get an accurate reading of my total mileage and average speed.

My question is, would this computer be just as accurate if I mounted it on the rear wheel?

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Unlikely that it would work. As the sensor has limited range and position tolerances.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    You must do an awful lot of wheeling if it's going to make that much of a difference to your over all milage counting. And besides, if you do the same amount of wheeling, day in day out, it doesn't matter as all things are equal.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • My cateye wireless couldnt detect the sensor when I mounted it on the back wheel....

As a trick cyclist, a garmin/gps type computer might be a better bet.
  • You could always buy a wired computer with a rear wheel fitting
  • EX360G
    Thanks for the replies. This puts me off the computer I was looking at. But if I can't get a rear one I suppose I'll just have to live with it on the front.
    You could always buy a wired computer with a rear wheel fitting

Could you suggest any? I've been looking quite a bit and I can't find any for the rear wheel.
  • Try ebay and Amazon,plenty on for around £15.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Doing lots of wheelies and wanting to track your performance seem to be at entirely opposite ends of the cycling spectrum...
  • EX360G
    How do you mean?

I'd like to track my wheelie performance :D
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    EX360G wrote:
    How do you mean?

I'd like to track my wheelie performance :D

You got the wrong bike, get a unicycle.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    My brother likes to wheelie the entire two mile length of Scarborough sea front on his mountain bike. There is no accounting for some people.

Your probably imagining some young guy with a hoodie and his seatpost too low.......... but he's 50.