Campag Record Fereehub maintenance

drlodge
drlodge Posts: 4,826
edited August 2014 in Workshop
At the end of my last ride I noticed an occasional "pinging" sound coming from the back wheel, it seemed to be like dirt in the freehub so rather than the pawls engaging cleanly they would have to bite through a bit of grit first - does this sound reasonable?

I took the freehub off and gave it a clean using GT85 and a brush/rag, all seemed to be fine, not that dirty really after 5,000 miles. Put in back on dry and rotated, it engaged perfectly so applied some oil to the pawls (its my best/dry bike) and put back on. All seems fine now....does my analysis seem sensible that it was just a dirty freehub causing this sound?
WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
Find me on Strava

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Whatever works...
    I would not use a solvent in the freehub as there are sealed bearings and the solvent can dissolve the grease inside the bearings.
    Solvents and bicycles are not a good combination
    left the forum March 2023
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Thanks Paolo, I only used GT85 as I thought you said about it in a post, but looking at the post you make no mention of it! Yeh I did think about keeping it out of the bearings, next time I will try something else...

Its easy enough to take off and clean so perhaps I will do it more frequently from now on.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Sometimes spokes make this noise. On Campag Neutrons the spokes touch where they cross and some lube between the spokes stops the noise.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo