Is lead solder definitively no more?

majormantra
majormantra Posts: 2,094
edited August 2014 in The cake stop
Calling electronics types: I gather you can no longer buy solder with lead in it. I was always taught that the lead-free stuff was rubbish, but if it's the only choice, is there a particular kind I should buy?

Also, there appear to be ebay sellers still hawking the lead stuff. Isn't this illegal? And should I buy it? :)

Comments

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    You can still buy it from RS and the like, up to grades which have 93% lead, so it doesn't look as if it's unavailable to me.
    http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/solders/0547360/
    but 60/40 is the more traditional of course.

The types with lead in are not RoHS compliant, and these have higher melting points. For me as a fixer, it means that the components are difficult to get out these days, they take a lot of de-soldering. I generally have try to 'replace' the solder before I can fully remove it.

The older I get, the better I was.

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,125
    i find lead-free works fine, but while lead-based was typically 60:40 pb:sn, there are many different different lead-free formulations, sn-cu, sn-cu-ag, sn-cu-ni, sn-cu-ni-bi etc., which all behave differently (i'd just go for sn-cu)

if the tip isn't designed for lead-free, it may be damaged - the high tin content can eat tips designed for pb:sn

you do need a higher temperature, it wets a bit slower and appearance may not be as shiny/smooth, but if solder/flux/technique are correct it's ok

if you're working on old stuff, i'd stick with 60:40, you can still legitimately purchase it, it's not illegal - the legislation restricted use of lead and other stuff in many categories of product, but there're also many exemptions - ye olde multicore with ersin flux is still available
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I see, thanks for the replies. I might just stick to what I know then!
  • As others have said, no problem still buying 60:40.
    We use the same irons for our lead free, but the manufacturers of the irons brought out higher temperature tips for them. As long as your iron goes hot enough and you use the right flux, then lead free is fine, just not quite as easy to work with.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    The fact that no statistics support the decision to remove lead tetraethyl from petrol suggests it's all bollox... lead, mercury, arsenic... you won't find many in history who died of metal poisoning.

Apparently Chernobyl is heaving with wildlife... :shock:
    left the forum March 2023
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260

Nothing to worry about at all :lol:

289d93p.jpg
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    1.jpg
  • sungod
    The fact that no statistics support the decision to remove lead tetraethyl from petrol suggests it's all bollox... lead, mercury, arsenic... you won't find many in history who died of metal poisoning.

tetraethyllead is nasty, personally i think reducing exposure to cumulative neuorotoxins is a good thing, especially for city cyclists who'd otherwise be exposed to it

the unfortunates of minimata (mercury), zamfara (nigeria, lead) and the poor of bangladesh (arsenic in groundwater) to choose but a few, would probably feel that any bollox was in your post

it takes high levels of radiation to kill directly, at lower levels there's increased risk of cancer and genetic defects, but most wildlife has a fairly short lifespan and is likely to snuff it from other causes before the effects of radiation
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234

You must have missed the statistics that suggest lead in petrol was responsible for a big increase in violent crime. I stick to using lead solder myself because I already have a huge pile I bought well before the ban, but knowing the effects that lead has, I want to see as little of it in the environment as possible.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    I think the metal that's missing in the above posts might be irony

The older I get, the better I was.

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,231
    tumblr_msjr0z1PmG1sgl0ajo1_500.gif
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    Capt Slog wrote:
    If that's so then I apologise to ugo, but Poe's Law applies; the electronics community is full of people who use just those sorts of arguments in all seriousness when moaning about EU law.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    The term 'Mad as a Hatter' didn't come about for no reason.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • sungod
    Capt Slog wrote:

i don't do irony, strictly cold steel