Campag polishing with B4 + After pics (-:

timmyturbo
timmyturbo Posts: 617
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Hi there people , just thought i would share my campag polishing before and after pictures with method , materials used £4 of various sandpaper ( dry ) and some t cut and standard yellow duster , final pass with kitchen roll . I went from P80 :shock: ( some dents and scuffs were over 1mm deep etc . Then graded up to 120, then 180 , 240 , 400 , 500 then T-CUT . 3 plus hours on the ergos which are Ti 8 speed , and 5 hours on the rear mech . Quite like a Buddhist retreat for a weekend i am sure , one hand , one hand off etc . Cheers :D

P1000180.jpgP1000181.jpgP1000196.jpgP1000198.jpgIMAG0615_BURST004.jpgIMAG0605.jpgIMAG0607.jpgIMAG0606.jpg
Britannia waives the rules

Comments

• timmyturbo
    new jockey wheels coming , and converting the ergos to 10 speed which i have a Ti mech for , that will need polishing to . Anyone know if you can still get new hoods for these ?? cheers
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Nice job... I should probably have a go at mine after the crash at Paris-Roubaix there is a bit of cobble rash on many parts...

Not easy to find new hoods for the mach 1 type ergos, but not impossible I suppose

If you want the original, give a ring to Nigel, he might be able to help

http://www.campyoldy.co.uk/
    left the forum March 2023
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Cool stuff dude! Might want to give them a going over with a good car wax to minimise tarnishing.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Very nice. I'm considering a new look and I'm tempted to give it a go - can you post some clearer pictures of your haircut?
  • timmyturbo
    car wax on , the scariest part is when you have to cut through the hard anodized satin factory finish which paint stripper or caustic soda will not remove , its that good . But starting to rub with p80 is scary ( only needed for big gouges ) as in one sweep you putt 200 pluys deep scratches into the lovely satin finsh once you get onto 240 you will happier and less worried . cheers . crank and calipers next , maybe followed with tri colour anodizing afterwards ? cheers
  • Old_Timer
    Old_Timer Posts: 262
    edited August 2014
    Very nicely done, your patience and attention to the details gave you some nice looking components. They should dress up you bicycle when you get things assembled. Your plans with the 10 speed upgrades sound ambitious, too.

Are you planning on applying some type of clear coat to protect that finish now that it is polished out? If not you might be re-polishing frequently as it gets weathered from riding. Best of luck with the 10 Speed components, also. Cheers.
    Lets just got for a ride, the heck with all this stuff...
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    How will that stand up to weather and road grime? Won't it tarnish and get pitted, even with the car polish treatment?

Looks great.
  • timmyturbo
    Many honda GOLDWING owners , use BELGOM ALU , which leaves a salt protection wax lacquer that lasts a good few weeks , though i use this on my custom car with mirror polished alloys , after 2 weeks of hard driving i can pretty much just hosepipe of all the grime ,http://www.directcarparts.co.uk/product/395/rimwax/smartwax-rim-wax-simple-protection-for-your-alloys.html . cheers , update pictures on your bike in about 2 weeks when my Wilier 1997 Patini replica team bike is finished , mine is one of ten bikes ever made but the only one with half naked carbon forks . So shinier than new is a must . cheers :D