To good to be true?

poacher13
poacher13 Posts: 70
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Trying hard to find a good value carbon bike and have stumbled across a 2014 BMC Teammachine SLR02 (105) for £874 from an online shop. Now the thing is the website is for a shop in Indonesia so they will be import duty and tax to pay but it still works out to a big saving. I am aware the bike wont be set up and all the normal pitfalls of buying online but would it be worth it to get these sort of savings?
The website is http://www.cyclehunting.com/ , not sure if anyone knows them. If you look around they got great prices.
I use the http://www.dutycalculator.com to work out duty and tax.
So, to good to be true or not worth the bother and i go off to buy a Canyon Endurace 8.0?
Thanks in advance for your input.

Comments

• It'll be a fake.....are they selling Wiliers etc too? If so, I've checked them out before.....

Sorry!
  • Jesus, they sell fake bikes these days as well????
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Without a lot of good reviews, I would never send money abroad.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • No, the bikes won't exist. They'll take your money and you won't receive anything.
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    Walk away!
    If it seems to good to be true it normally is ESPECIALLY when it comes to overseas websites.
  • reds99
    reds99 Posts: 46
    Yeah i agree with all above!!!
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    If it goes wrong you can always blame Wiggle...

"Supplied with basic flat pedals, Wiggle recommend using dedicated clip-in pedals and shoes"

Looks like they have copied the bike decription for one of their bikes from Wiggle. (Colnago World Cup Disc for $749 - so about £450!)

Wonder if it would be worth a punt purchasing on Credit Card?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,177
    as above, run away

there're a few countries notorious for fake online stores, this is one of them

must be a nightmare for anyone local trying to run a legitimate business
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    poacher13 wrote:
    Trying hard to find a good value carbon bike and have stumbled across a 2014 BMC Teammachine SLR02 (105) for £874 from an online shop. Now the thing is the website is for a shop in Indonesia...

That was as far as I got before the alarm bells started to ring.
    As hinted at in the thread title, if it sounds like it is, it is.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Kind of knew deep down the answer really, i just needed you guys with your knowledge to confirm that i would have been a hooooge fool to go along with it. Thank you all so much!