Egg shaped wheel

chopchopchop
chopchopchop Posts: 98
edited August 2014 in Workshop
So yesterday a spoke snapped, got it fixed same day. Went to it this morning and it hadn't been moved over night and the spoke nect to the one replaced was snapped, got it fixed today.

When I put the wheel on the bike and spun it, it looked odd. Seems to bulge out where both spokes snapped and there seems to be the seem of the rim around there too. Is the wheel knackered, I am about to kick off tomorrow as they obviously didn't check it properly once the spoke was replaced.

The wheel is about 3 months old, Mavic Open Pro on a 105 hub.
Specialized Roubiax elite
Pinarello Uno
Shwin MTB

http://www.strava.com/athletes/hughes_terry

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    The U will be along soon no doubt.. but on a newish wheel.. if it hasnt been subject to road abuse as it were.. I'd be thinking... the wheel build itself.. over tensioning of the spokes..?
  • rjkflyer
    rjkflyer Posts: 85
    No reason why the wheel should be knackered at all. A proper repair and adjustment should get it all back literally within a fraction of a millimetre of true in all planes.

Quite small errors (let alone a broken spoke or two!) will result in very visible out-of -true.

I've just rebuilt two 1980s Campag wheels/hubs from scratch and you'd be amazed how as the process proceeds, a massively wobbly/eccentric wheel suddenly becomes true to tiny tolerances as tensions are perfected and equalised.