Dolan Ares, Cannondale supersix, can't decide!...

fat guy hat
fat guy hat Posts: 16
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Just after some advice as I'm seriously considering getting one. Are they comfortable?
The green and white looks amazing and I'd rather buy one over the Cannondale Synapse and Supersix I've been considering (purely based on looks).

My budget is max £2000, ideally I'd prefer to spend around £1600 though. I also need to consider resaleability as I'm coming back after a long lay up due to being diagnosed with a medical condition.
I need a bike that potentially if I get fit enough again, I could do a few middle distances on and onto a half ironman, again if/when I'm fit enough.

I'm just concerned that if I have problems again I'll need to sell the bike, you don't see many Dolans for sale second hand?

Only other bike I've test rode is a Trek Domane 4.7. I loved it, it was so comfortable but I've been told that particular series they use a low quality carbon? So I ruled it out.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Just after some advice as I'm seriously considering getting one. Are they comfortable?

I'm sure they're both potentially comfortable, but comfort is a result of setup, fit and tyre pressure - so if you get it wrong, they are both potentially uncomfortable as well - as is any other bike. I personally wouldn't buy either, as I wouldn't touch BB30.
  • Imposter wrote:

I'm sure they're both potentially comfortable, but comfort is a result of setup, fit and tyre pressure - so if you get it wrong, they are both potentially uncomfortable as well - as is any other bike. I personally wouldn't buy either, as I wouldn't touch BB30.

Really? What is wrong with BB30?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The green and white looks amazing and I'd rather buy one over the Cannondale Synapse and Supersix I've been considering (purely based on looks).

My budget is max £2000, ideally I'd prefer to spend around £1600 though. I also need to consider resaleability as I'm coming back after a long lay up due to being diagnosed with a medical condition.
    I need a bike that potentially if I get fit enough again, I could do a few middle distances on and onto a half ironman, again if/when I'm fit enough.

I'm just concerned that if I have problems again I'll need to sell the bike, you don't see many Dolans for sale second hand?

Thanks in advance.

Depends what you intend to use the bike for? The Dolan Ares SL is a race bike and therefore not sportive geometry and as once used by the AN Post team.
    An%20Post%20Sean%20Kely%20squad%202012.jpg
    Very well constructed framesets with internal cabling. I bought a frame last year to build a winter/second bike, but sold it on once I realised it really was too good to simply use as a second/winter bike. Personally, I have no problem riding long distance on a slammed front end and big drop, but if you do, then the geometry of the Dolan might not be for you.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    If you can go visit Terry Dolan. He's one of the most well respected bike fitters/designers in the UK and will get you set up on a bike to fit your needs.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    If you liked the Trek, then buy the Trek.

Why add a level of uncertainty to the mix when you already have found a bike that you like?
  • Just make sure you check the geometry of the Ares as they're a bit different to most- check top tube and head tube especially.

Or better still, go see them in person as suggested.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Really? What is wrong with BB30?

Reliability and longevity - apart from that, it's great. I'm sure there will be a few people along to say how good it is, but a quick search of a few related threads should give you an idea...
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    My last BB30 lasted me about 9k miles which I thought was fair.
    That said IF I had the option of the identical frame with BB30 or threaded BB I'd go for threaded.
  • robbo2011 wrote:
    If you liked the Trek, then buy the Trek.

Why add a level of uncertainty to the mix when you already have found a bike that you like?

Because it's the first bike I've rode so I need something to compare it to as I may find something even better for my money?
  • fat guy hat
    fat guy hat Posts: 16
    edited May 2015
    Guys is there a difference (apart from colour) of these two bikes? I know the first one won bike of the year 2014, I can't see a difference apart from colour?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    One is Di2 ready, the other isn't.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.