New Chair

SCR Pedro
SCR Pedro Posts: 912
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Thanks to my goddamn saddle, today's 100km sucked to hell. I was hoping after a month I'd have gotten used to it, but it kills my butt after less than 2 hours. It is a San Marco Ponza with a cutout. The cutout helps, but the rest is bullshit. Due to the shape, I can't level it to a point where it's not pointing up or down too much, and perhaps due to the padding, or shape, my sitbones take a battering. The result, hours of torture :roll:

I think I need something that is flatter. That is, one that doesn't have slight dip from the back to the middle. Also one that offers some decent relief for the sit bones on long rides, doesn't look stupid, or weigh a thousand goddamn kilos. A cutout or relief channel is also definitely required.

I'm also poor, because my job sucks. Budget of 50 euros, I reckon.

What do you recommend? :?:
Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
Giant TCR Alliance Zero
BMC teammachineSLR03
The Departed
Giant SCR2
Canyon Roadlite
Specialized Allez
Some other junk...

Comments

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    San Marco Regal E
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    solboy10 wrote:
    San Marco Regal E
    Second hand
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    May be worth getting hold of a pre-owned Spesh Romin Evo entry model which provides most of what you've commented on.

Peter
  • SCR Pedro
    solboy10 wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:
    San Marco Regal E
    Second hand

It would have to be! :shock: Looks good though.
    The Specialized looks to be just the ticket. I'll do some research. Other suggestions are also welcome! :mrgreen:
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Fizik Anteres carbon rail. Very similar in dimensions to the San Marco you mention. But a hell of a lot more comfortable. I know cos I swapped out these 2 models and found the change massive in comfort
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    If your looking for a flat saddle, specialized toupe, the only one I never think about after 100 miles, looks good also.
  • SCR Pedro
    Cheers, guys. Is there any way to measure what size would be the best? That is, without going to one of these fancy shops and being fitted for a total expensive saddle?
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Paul1000 wrote:
    If your looking for a flat saddle, specialized toupe, the only one I never think about after 100 miles, looks good also.

I agree with this (the bit about being flat!) - I ran a toupe for 1-2 years before one of the spines snapped. I've ended up with the Romin Evo which is not as flat but I do find it more comfortable over longer rides.

Peter
  • Mark_P
    Mark_P Posts: 51
    Go to a saddle-swapping party. Just pray you don't land a munter.
  • kangarouge
    kangarouge Posts: 210
    Have a look in some of your LBS as they often have a scheme whereby you leave a deposit and try one of a range of saddles they have. I think you get your money back if you decide you like one and make a purchase. I've always thought it is such a good idea as choosing a saddle is such an individual choice. What suits one person may very well not suit another. It is not necessarily a good idea to take someone else's recommendation when related to saddles.

Choosing winter gloves seems to be very personalised too.
  • SCR Pedro
    The LBS' around here tend to suck. They love electric and mountain bikes more than the road.
    I like the look of the Toupe (can't find the accented 'e' on my german keyboard). It seems to be what I'm looking for. Is the Avatar a cheaper version? What do people make of that?

Also, if anyone is after an Antares, here is a half price deal I found
    http://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;na ... ;orderby=2
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    northpole wrote:

I ran a toupe for 1-2 years before one of the spines snapped.

Peter

Not the best advert if it only lasted 2 years
  • eddiefiola
    eddiefiola Posts: 344
    i have a Spesh Evo comp but it's definitely not flat, I actually relegated it to my 29er where its perfect as I have a more upright position, but on the road bike it had too much pressure on the perineum for the slightly nose up angle i like.

Changed to a Selle Italia Superflow SLR, totally flat and with a huge cutout, suits me perfectly.

But every ass is different.
  • kangarouge
    kangarouge Posts: 210
    I have the Avatar on both of my bikes and if I buy another bike I will be putting one on it as well. It works for me, though I presume not for lots of others. The thought of a Toupe for me, makes my eyes water.
  • SCR Pedro
    As luck would have it, there is actually a Specialized shop in this city. So I am test riding a Toupe until next week. I have to say, after just over 2 hours this morning, I don't think it's 90 euros worth of comfort. I couldn't really get a comfortable position. I'll do 3-4 hours on Saturday or Sunday and decide for or against it.
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    SCR Pedro wrote:
    Also one that offers some decent relief for the sit bones on long rides, doesn't look stupid, or weigh a thousand goddamn kilos.

So you want it to LOOK racey? Yet that would entail having less padding. Which seems to be your issue. You may need a wider saddle, with more padding, BUT that won't look good. Then you want it to weigh pretty much nothing, and cost even less. You want comfort, low weight, cheap price, and pro looks. I doubt there is such a thing. My advice. Forget looks and get one that's comfortable. The only other option is to "nut up" and learn to deal with the discomfort.