Aftermarket Chainrings for Shimano 105

hstiles
hstiles Posts: 414
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

This question is primarily aimed at testers or triathletes. I'm running a 105 5700 groupset on my TT rig with 53/39 and 11/25. I'm more comfortable pushing a larger gear at around 75 rpm and am spending significant chunks of a relatively flat route in 53/11. So, I would like to move to 55/42.

The cheapest option for me is to look at after-market chainrings and the readily available options look to be either Stronglight or TA.

Does anyone have any experience of either brand?
Would you jump from 53 to 55 or try 54 first?

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

It doesn't have 75rpm, only 80, but should still give you some idea.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    1 tooth on the chainring doesn't make a huge difference to be honest, so if you're often finding that you're at higher than comfortable revs in 53/11, I'd be tempted to go to at least a 56, have a play with some figures in the sheldon brown link or google bikecalc, which is a bit more customizable...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    hstiles wrote:
    I'm more comfortable pushing a larger gear at around 75 rpm and am spending significant chunks of a relatively flat route in 53/11. So, I would like to move to 55/42.

53-11 huh? "....spending significant chunks(of time I assume)...in 53-11."???? :roll: :roll: :lol::lol:
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I have a stronglight and a TA ring on my cross bike... they are as good as Shimano rings... basically there isn't much technology in a chainring. Stronglight offers DUral or Zicral, the latter is supposed to last longer
    left the forum March 2023
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    dennisn wrote:
    hstiles wrote:
    I'm more comfortable pushing a larger gear at around 75 rpm and am spending significant chunks of a relatively flat route in 53/11. So, I would like to move to 55/42.

53-11 huh? "....spending significant chunks(of time I assume)...in 53-11."???? :roll: :roll: :lol::lol:

Just because you can't maintain a cruising speed of 28mph on the flat! :lol:

OP obviously feels that he wants to up his speed to 29mph which will make all the difference...........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    People cherry picking what they're reading! On a tt bike there will be times where FOR SOME PEOPLE 53x11 will be an inefficient gear and more will be needed, also yes if you're racing there's a massive difference between 28 an 27mph.

I run a 55 with a 39 and it's no problem at all, shifting isn't quite as crisp as modern ultegra standard stuff but with the ability to trim the front and move the mech a little slower using the fritcion lever, everything is fine. The only problem, of you go too big your front mech might not clear the bigger chainrings.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    chrisw12 wrote:
    People cherry picking what they're reading!

I wasn't cherry picking what I was reading - just reading incompetently! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Bigger front ring means ratios closer together in the region of the cassette that is used.

Same stupid comments on every single thread about chainrings.
  • I have a stronglight and a TA ring on my cross bike... they are as good as Shimano rings... basically there isn't much technology in a chainring. Stronglight offers DUral or Zicral, the latter is supposed to last longer

They should do at twice the price!