Santa Cruz Heckler

Northern_Monkey13
Northern_Monkey13 Posts: 79
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I've been looking into FS bike and how much I need to save now I've been offered a new Santa Cruz heckler for 1600 quid should I go for it?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Presumably stolen?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    What year..?
  • 2014 and not stolen
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Sounds too good to be true, the frame is £1350 alone with full bikes starting at £2500
  • It's from somebody I know who owns a shop.
    Just heard good things about them and just wondered what everyone thought
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    Loved my Heckler, simple single pivot which was maintenance free in 5 years of ownership, bike was fantastic on all trails and gave huge grin factor :mrgreen: Great price for a very capable bike.
  • ej2320
    if you're sure it's not dodgy then that's a good deal
    the 2014 heckler is longer and slacker and has nearly identical geo to the bronson.. if the single pivot doesn't bother you then it's a good bike for trails and I'm sure it would handle some DH tracks

what's the spec, roughly?
  • Shimano slx and SRAM and xt, forkssektor gold 150mm, rear fox float ctd.
    As I never used FS bike what's the problem with single pivot? From what I read it's easier to maintain
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    As I never used FS bike what's the problem with single pivot? From what I read it's easier to maintain
    There's no problem, just that different suspension types have different characteristics. A single pivot is easier to maintain well. I find maintaining more complex suspension types badly is just as easy...
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Single pivots can suffer a bit of brake jack and can be less good on square edge hits. They can also be better to jump and quite active and fun to ride.
    Maintenance isn't always easier, mine has six bearings in the rear suspension.
  • ej2320
    well it's a proven frame that's good to ride, good spec and will handle any UK trail
    At that price, I'd take it
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    The Hecklers pivot is bomb proof and well sealed - identical geometry to the Bronson and highly rated in the reviews I have seen, just lost in the Santa Cruz catalogue amongst all the other models.

I could have got one when I got my bronson for about the 1400 you are being offered and I was sorely tempted but was lured in by the carbon frame in the end.

for that money you cant go wrong unless its hot.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • ej2320
    identical geometry to the Bronson and highly rated in the reviews I have seen, just lost in the Santa Cruz catalogue amongst all the other models.

That ^

Just because it's what Santa Cruz call their cheap bike doesn't mean it's any less good/fun than a bronson.. just heavier and surprisingly rarer on UK trails, or at least where I live