Isle of Wight

WindyG
WindyG Posts: 1,099
edited August 2014 in Tour & expedition
Off to the IOW next week on holiday, wife suggested I take a bike :-)
So having never rode over there can anybody suggest some nice routes to ride.

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Round the Island is traditional. There are only about 6 roads on the Isle of Wight in any event so navigation isn't difficult. You might want to try by bypass Shanklin and sandown though as normally rammed with cars, but then if you want to stop for an icecream you might not want to bypass them.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • WindyG
    Cheers for that, just what I needed to know, not been over there for about 9 years and always driven around, knowing what to avoid is great, cheers.
  • WindyG
    Been out for a couple of early morning rides, certainly different from riding in Norfolk :-) really nice riding across the downs with some great views and it makes a change having to get out of the saddle. Been very cautious on the descents though not knowing the routes and wary of the blind bends/junctions. Managed to get some quick times on Strava :-)
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Round the Isle route is here somewhere http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/ and I expect on mapmyride and other similar sites if you google for it.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    t4tomo wrote:
    Round the Island is traditional. There are only about 6 roads on the Isle of Wight in any event so navigation isn't difficult.
    What a load of cobblers. I do about 200km a week on the island and there is lots to choose from.

If you like it hilly, ride North to south and vice versa. For flat you generally ride east/west or vice versa.

Round the island is fun, but misses out the best bit, which is the climb up to the Needles Battery. Extend the loop to include that. Clockwise is harder. Best to plan the trip based on the wind. Try to do the southern coast with the wind.

For hilly rides stay south of an imaginary line running east to west through the middle of the island. For flat and pretty do the lanes around Newtown.

The climb from Shanklin to Ventnor is good. Go to the seafront at Ventnor and then climb out of town. 25% and narrow.

Wight Cycle Hire in Yarmouth are the guys to talk to. There have maps and loads of local knowledge.

There are also scores of great tea and cake stops.
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    WindyG wrote:
    Been out for a couple of early morning rides, certainly different from riding in Norfolk :-) really nice riding across the downs with some great views and it makes a change having to get out of the saddle. Been very cautious on the descents though not knowing the routes and wary of the blind bends/junctions. Managed to get some quick times on Strava :-)
    If you on the western end there is a group/club ride every Wednesday evening from Yarmouth. Talk to the guys at Wight Cycle hire if you want info. Visitors always welcome.
  • WindyG
    I'm just doing early morning rides as we are on holiday so don't want to spend too much family time on the bike or be be too done in for the day. I've been around the Ryde/Sandown area and then loop inland which has a good enough mix for me. Round the island will be for another time, though I think I would make up my own route as the marked one does miss bits out and gives you pointless areas to ride.