Replacing Suntour XCM mtb forks.

cheese_toastie
cheese_toastie Posts: 35
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I need to replace the Suntour XCM suspension forks on my 2010 Fuji Nevada mountain bike. To be honest I am not sure of the type I need to buy because I intend to upgrade to a lighter version if possible.
The ones on my bike measure about 26cm from axle to top of crown where it goes into the frame, the fork stanctions are 10cm long so the travel is about 6 to 8cm and the wheel is 26".
I intend to spend up to about £250 on Suntour, Rockshox or Marzocchi in this price range.
My quandary is which ones for XC use because there are loads of different spec forks and different sizes available, I could go to a bike shop but can fit them myself and they are cheaper on ebay.
Any recommendations for the type I need to get please, thanks in advance for any replies or help.

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Look at rockshox rebas, a good lightweight air fork. However you need to know the steerer type and length of your current fork, either straight or tapered, although I'd expect them to be straight and the steerer needs to be as long as your current forks if buying used, longer is fine as it can be cut. You also need to know the front axle standard of your wheels, for instance qr which is most likely.
  • Right thanks, I will have a look at the Rockshox Rebas, the steerer is straight and the axle is a 9mm QR.
    What I was worried about was the actual length of the forks from crown to axle, the old Suntour ones on it are 26cm, most of the forks advertised don't quote this measurement.
    I will be buying new so don't need worry about the steerer length and I have a tube cutter for this.
  • Antm81
    I can find a measurement of 473mm but that's not the most up to date, are you sure the axle to crown measurement is 26cm that seems really short, sounds more like the length of the lowers.
  • Yeah you are right, I measured them wrongly. The forks measure 46cm from axle to top where they enter the frame
  • Antm81
    I doubt 13mm would have a negative impact, plus the rebas would be 100mm instead of the 80mm of travel of the xcm's. However I'm not an expert on geometry.