Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting general

Speshi Sirrus - work commute

lm_treklm_trek Posts: 1,470
edited August 2014 in Commuting general
My biking has changed so much over the years, started as a mountain biker and loved it, got a road bike for the winter and loved that so much, Ive done some charity rides and managed up to 95 miles recently in one charity ride.

Now for the work commute, ive changed jobs and will be working stupidly unsocial hours, starting at 530am and some days doing a late shift which finishes at 11pm, I was thinking about yep get on the bike. I've ordered a Sirrus Elite Disc 2015 from tredz, im not sure on the size my road bike is 50cm canyon, my mtb 29er is a small 15.5 and my 26er speshi camber is a 17.5 and slightly too big. I know I sit between small/med any suggestions? do I go smaller or go bigger?

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Sir ... _72133.htm

Ordered some candys as I run these on all my bikes and some lights, anything else I might need? or have I picked the wrong bike??

• oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,652
    I'm 5ft7" with an inside leg of 28" and I had the medium sirrus until I decided it was as to heavy and started using an 2008 dawes giro 300 roadbike with mudguards for work. It was lighter and faster, and easier to get different hand positions in fact I still use it as my wet bike. Sirrus is ok but you will want mudguards if riding In the wet.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • davidmt83davidmt83 Posts: 218
    That's a lot of money for a hybrid. I'm biased as I'm selling my Sirrus but I'd say have you considered the Cannondale Synapse? For £49 more you could get a 2015, 50/34 11/32, 105 with disc brakes from epic-cycles. Website lists RRP of £999 although they're currently selling at £899.
    Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,496
    I like the sirrus - my wife has one and I commuted on it for a week or so in the winter until I got a CX to ride instead. But, that's a lot of money for a hybrid with relatively low spec components ... if that was the bike that fitted best then I'd be looking for the discounted 2014 or even 2013 models.

... here you go - save £130 ... http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/specia ... -bike.html
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,748
    The Boardman Hybrids are similar and well respected, or for a fairly effective budget option, have a look at the Carrera Gryphon.