F.A.C.T

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited November 2014 in Pro race
So Alonso applied for WT licence, and the word is they're recruiting pretty seriously.

But which big names are available?

At one point it was going to be Contador and Sagan, but not now. There are plenty of lesser riders on the market but who's he going to pick up? I'd have to assume he's going to have an Italian / Spanish type flavour to the team.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,957
    Has Frenchie approved this thread? ;)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    iainf72 wrote:

If Cannondale are merging with Garmin that must leave a lot of riders with no team?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,143
    Disappointed, was expecting Peter Saville covers and Tony Wilson quotes.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    iainf72 wrote:

If Cannondale are merging with Garmin that must leave a lot of riders with no team?

That'll be Kittel & Co won't it???
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,885
    Wiggins ;-)

I would say Uran if he was coming up for renewal. Most riders seem to be staying put this season. Would Valverde go as he isn't really the teams top rider anymore.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Betancur?

I mean, beggars can't be choosers.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • tailwindhome
    Joelsim wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

That'll be Kittel & Co won't it???

I'm not sure what you mean

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/racing/t ... 015-129884
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,570
    Isn't Valverde heading there?
  • Could be a few Belkins not yet sorted out?
  • andyp wrote:
    Disappointed, was expecting Peter Saville covers and Tony Wilson quotes.
    :)
    I saw Vinnie just the other day
    the_durutti_column.jpg
  • Sammy Sanchez is from the same town as Alonso - but 36!
  • Speculation - Could Alonso be lining up to buy out Lampre-Merida for 2015? Working with NOVO holdings (https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/two-t ... 00349.html) to complete the purchase and deal with the fall out?

Only 7 riders on the current Lampre team have contract confirmations for 2015 to date. Loads of good riders still technically available:

Sammy Sanchez - ?
    Pozzovivo - ?
    Trentin - OPQS extension likely
    Cunego - Pro-Conti mentioned
    Cataldo - probably Sky extension.
    Ventoso - probably Movistar extension.
    Plaza - ?
    Lastras/Xandio - retire, 1 more year?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,941
    Lampre are shite.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,174
    Brajkovic is someone who I was surprised hasn't got a ride yet for next year.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Good news if true, those poor Lampre riders could do with some new kit!
  • RichN95.
    Good news if true, those poor Lampre riders could do with some new kit!
    I like their kit. The colours remind me of the Olympic hockey pitch (now in Sheffield)
  • I used to like the kit before the lime green was added. I'm hoping Alonso will encourage Cadel to unretire.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,478
    Lampre are shite.

Yes but you have to admit that if Lampre go ti... sorry, mammaries up, it would be sad thing as they have been committed to sponsoring a cycling team for years.

FWIW, Apart from making for 'interesting' wild card selections for the GT's, maybe there are just too many big players for the lesser teams to compete.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • RichN95.
    So, Marca is reporting that Alonso's team is going ahead and the first ten riders will be announced in the next few days. The team may even be World Tour, although Pro Conti remains more likely.

A reader's comment below the article said that these are some of the riders who have been rumoured: Kangert, Taramaae, Samu Sanchez, Spilak, Mezgec, Mikel Landa, Irizar, Enrique Sanz and Pello Bilbao.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    RichN95 wrote:
    some of the riders who have been rumoured: Kangert, Taramaae, Samu Sanchez, Spilak, Mezgec, Mikel Landa, Irizar, Enrique Sanz and Pello Bilbao.

Most of those names have contracts for 2015 though.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    UCI confirm Alonso has not applied for WT licence, so back to square one for FACT.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Unsurprisingly, it appears that today it'll be confirmed there will be no Alonso team next year
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    @TheDPate: I will have a Protour team before Alonso does

Amen.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • dish_dash
    Bettini says that there won't be a team for the foreseeable future. Given the uncertainty that Alsonso faces in F1, having been dumped by Ferrari, I can't see him trying to get a cycling team going any time soon...
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    dish_dash wrote:
    Bettini says that there won't be a team for the foreseeable future. Given the uncertainty that Alsonso faces in F1, having been dumped by Ferrari, I can't see him trying to get a cycling team going any time soon...
    The story is that it was him that asked to be released from his Ferrari contract, not the other way round.

Latest rumour is he'll be with McLaren next year.
  • Well I am glad this isn't turning into a high farce... *SIGH*
  • I'm a big F1 fan, and what he's said so far is "As soon as I make an announcement, it will all make sense"

Could it be he's having a sabbatical to start a cycling team? Then back into F1 with whoever...
  • dish_dash
    Doubt it. At this stage in his career I suspect he'll be looking to maximise earnings even if taking a sabbatical. The cycling team is a cash drain... and there's no way he's going to bankroll a half decent team for a sustainable period even if he's earning £21m in base salary (assume endorsements double/triple that) at the moment. More likely a figure head for a team which has struggled to find sponsorship... Maybe something will emerge post reforms.

OT but interesting piece here on F1 income split for those that point to F1 as a potential model. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29905081 Who is the cycling equivalent of Ferrari?