Cycle computers with cadence

funkyg
funkyg Posts: 68
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Hey guys.
I currently use my iphone for tracking on strava but I’d like something to put on my bars with a live readout on it.
I can get a wired Cataeye Strada Cadence for around £30, or a wireless Boardman computer (with cadence sensor) for the same amount, and can’t decide which to get.
Does anyone have either of these? How big are the sensors on the Boardman kit? They look bulky but I can’t get any sense of scale from the images.
I know the wireless one will be tidier due to the lack of wires.
Any preferences?
Cheers.
GT Avalanche 3.0 Hydro
Ridley R6 EL

Comments

• Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I used to have the Boardman one.

The sensors are smaller than the Garmin GSC10 but you use two, one of the front wheel for speed and one on the left chain stay for cadence. The unit also has an altitude sensor (barometric, like Garmins) so it will record your total climb on the ride. It's excellent value at £30 and was good value at the previous price of twice that.

The only downside is that if you wear polarised glasses, the screen plastic looks like it has oil stains. They may have changed this since I had mine.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Anything with an LCD display can look odd through polarised glasses - all depends upon orientation.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)