bash/chain device

cobby1970
cobby1970 Posts: 450
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I run a 2x9 setup and want to fit a chain device to eliminate chainslap, my frame doesn,t have iscg tabs but has an external bb, is there a particular device I require?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A chain device won't eliminate slap, it has no effect, it just stops the chain coming off.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cobby1970
    It must have some effect as it takes up the slack in the chain
  • The Rookie
    No it doesn't, the rear mech does that, a chain device takes up no slack as the chain is sized round them or could end up too short.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    The Rookie wrote:
    No it doesn't, the rear mech does that, a chain device takes up no slack as the chain is sized round them or could end up too short.

Is the correct answer. Get yourself a clutch mech.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    I used a Blackspire Stinger and a bashguard when i ran 2x9 for chain security on the front ring. Worked very well and did not add any noticeable drag. You can get BB or ISCG versions. Just replace the one spacer on your driveside with it.

IMG_3833.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The stinger works well, but doesn't stop chain slap.....
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Rookie wrote:
    The stinger works well, but doesn't stop chain slap.....

True. I had one before I went 10 speed. The chain rubs the back plate when in the granny which is annoying.
    Shame a clutch mech isn't an option for 9 speed.
    Do you have a medium cage mech?
  • cobby1970
    No its a long cage
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Check the range of your rings and cogs - I have 2x9 and a medium cage works on mine (32/22 and 11/34)
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools