Torque wrench for left hand thread

whobiggs
whobiggs Posts: 23
edited August 2014 in Workshop
is there an adaptor to make my torque wrench work on left hand thread? Or have I bought the wrong one? :oops:

Comments

• gpgiant
    gpgiant Posts: 26
    Hi
    What make is the torque wrench you bought? I've yet to find an adaptor that converts CW to CCW.
    Cheers
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    Most torque wrenches are reversible. Assuming you have the type that clicks on reaching the set torque, look for a dial on the back of the head to set the direction.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Mr Evil wrote:
    Most torque wrenches are reversible. Assuming you have the type that clicks on reaching the set torque, look for a lever on the back of the head to set the direction.

This - my BBB one certainly is - just like a normal ratchet driver, the lever flicks over to "convert" from CW to CCW. With my bigger torque wrench the head is double sided.
  • Barbarossa
    Barbarossa Posts: 248
    Torque wrenches with reversible ratchets generally don't measure torque ACW - check the manual but be wary of heaving on it and waiting for a click that isn't going to come. For LH threads you need one where the drive peg pushes through the head.
  • whobiggs
    whobiggs Posts: 23
    Barbarossa wrote:
    Torque wrenches with reversible ratchets generally don't measure torque ACW - check the manual but be wary of heaving on it and waiting for a click that isn't going to come. For LH threads you need one where the drive peg pushes through the head.

That's exactly what I did, I thought I was just a wuss till I realised. It is a Sealey and works like a normal ratchet so it is reversible but only torques clockwise so I can only do one end of the BB. :roll:
  • Both my torque wrenches don't measure torque in reverse so had the same issue, I just did it by feel in the end and tried to use the same sort of force I used on the CW thread on the reverse of the BB
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    The BBB one I have has a "break handle" type of motion, so measures both ways - a bit like a beam torque wrench will. The Norbar has a double sided head - but that's for car wheel nuts lol.

I've never bothered with torque measurement on a BB, use a standard BB spanner (say 12") and do up manually tight. It'll be enough with an English threaded BB as bearing precession tends to tighten them up anyway - like pedal spindles (again, I never torque these either). I restrict my torque measurement to clamping forces on carbon bits - steerers, bars, seatposts etc. never bothered on steel/alu.