Wheelset Question

Tim527
Tim527 Posts: 3
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
I am looking at two different wheelsets and need your thoughts to help me with a purchase of one of them. Both are high quality and low in weight and are in my price range. The Campagnola Shamal Ultra and the HED Ardennes Plus SL. Both look like all around wheels and have some aero benefits with good reviews. Need your thoughts.

Thank You,
Tim

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    HED rims are wider I like wide I would go with that just for the ride comfort and improved cornering over narrow rims. HED hubs though are nothing special.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    The Shamal but only if you run Campagnolo. If you run Shimano/Sram its a big bike etiquette no no :-)
  • Possibly a set of handbuilts? - DA 9000 hubs with HED Ardennes rims?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Shimano and campag mix get over it.

HED Belgian + (same rim) on DA hub = perfect not as light but who cares it will out perform a shamal wheel becuase the rim is wider. Use 23mm tyres as that will be a little more aero on a wide rim than 25mm tyres.

24H Belgain+ rims should be the country unless the delivery is delayed again, HEd need to pick up there phone though to find out!
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The HED certainly isn't a lightweight
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

HED Belgian + (same rim) on DA hub = perfect not as light but who cares it will out perform a shamal wheel becuase the rim is wider. Use 23mm tyres as that will be a little more aero on a wide rim than 25mm tyres.

24H Belgain+ rims should be the country unless the delivery is delayed again, HEd need to pick up there phone though to find out!

By how much? By nothing measurable or noticeable at all I would think.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909

:-) = not serious. Learn what it means before engaging brain