Sealant as temporary repair

shamblesuk
shamblesuk Posts: 11
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Hi folks,

Have just decided to move to tubs from clinchers and invested in a nice pair of Amp Hoops and Vittoria CX tubs. Thinking 'it would be easy' I bought some sealant too to deal with on the fly punctures. For buzzing around locally I don't fancy carrying a spare.

In 'my mind', I would simply inject the sealant into the valve when needed. However, the valve core (I think it's called) is non-removable, you have to remove the whole valve, which does unscrew. So how do I get the sealant in when the tyre is on the rim? Can I get new valves that have a removable core, to allow me to do this?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Get Vittoria PitStop, so you don't have to remove the valve... simple
    left the forum March 2023
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Vittoria CX tubulars not having removable cores. Are you sure? How do you get valve extenders on? I have used vittoria corsa cx (are these the ones you mean?) For years and they have always had removable cores which you just get a sealant and squeeze into the tyre. Replace valve. Tighten. Place on rim. Inflate. Easy

One on pitstop. I have used that before and the problem that can arise is sealant clogging up the valve so you can either not get air in. Or the valve sticks open and wont stay inflated. Pitstop is good as an emergency repair but not as a permanent sealant. After using it the tyre is pretty much dead unless you can get it repaired which is not easy to do and not many offer the service any more.
  • Does this mean you have to take the tub off the rim to add the sealant? I imagined that the sealant would go in with the tub in place......
  • ugo.santalucia
    shamblesuk wrote:
    Does this mean you have to take the tub off the rim to add the sealant? I imagined that the sealant would go in with the tub in place......

If you have the red valves, yes... but as mentioned before, use the PitStop and happy days
  • ugo.santalucia
    One on pitstop. I have used that before and the problem that can arise is sealant clogging up the valve so you can either not get air in. Or the valve sticks open and wont stay inflated. .

Used it a handful of times, never encountered that problem... could it be you mis-used it?
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Not misused. And it nackered the valve. Had to replace the whole core. Luckily I had one from an old tube.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Always carry a spare. Sealant will NOT work under ALL circumstances. Then again if you're in the mood to walk the bike home......