Frame respray - lacquer?

jimothy78
jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,
In the middle of stripping a frame ready for respraying. Just wondering if there's any recommendations for good, hard wearing lacquer coats. I remember previously seeing someone (I think TheRookie, but might be wrong) advise against Holts, but not sure why.
Also, any reason to choose gloss over matt finish, or is it just personal preference?

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Are you respraying it? I had a steel hardtail powdercoated - really happy with the results and seems hardwearing (more so than the original paint for sure) - cost was under 100 quid at a canadian powdercoater and had similar quotes in uk. They even shot blast the old stuff off for you....
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Powder coating is much more hard wearing than paint. You won't want an aluminium frame blasted though, there will be nothing left of it. Steel frames are fine to blast.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I have had 3 frames blasted and coated. Blasting is ok if they use the correct material. Sand blasting would make a mess of an alloy frame. I think it cost me less then £50 each time and the results were almost as good as new!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I used Holts on mine, it's fine.

You can't shot blast an aluminium frame, there are lots of blasting agents (Soda is best) you can use, but steel shot will destroy it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    jim, there's a guy in caerleon I used before that will charge you £50 to strip it and paint it. nice finish too. kel Clarke also had his done there.
  • jimothy78
    Thanks for all the input, folks, but I'm determined to do the work myself (I've already stripped 90% of the paint off).

I've previously sprayed a different frame and was happy enough with the result to do it again - I didn't use lacquer that time, as it was just a "bikepath" bike.

This frame will be used for "proper" offroad duties, though, and I don't want the paint being stripped straight off it by the first gritty wet ride, hence why I'm looking for a tough outer coat.
    The Rookie wrote:
    I used Holts on mine, it's fine.

Good to know - must have been someone else saying it was rubbish, then :?

What about primer? I've since read that you should use "self etching" primer on bare aluminium - first time I've heard of this - how important is that?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Powder coating won't cost any more than diy spray paint and will look nicer and be much harder wearing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Acid etch primer, Halfords sell it as do most decent paint outlets.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • yep, Sand blasting would make a mess of an alloy frame. I think it cost me less then £50 each time and the results were almost as good as new!1mnQwaB
  • jimothy78
    The Rookie wrote:
    Acid etch primer, Halfords sell it as do most decent paint outlets.

Thanks - will pop down and grab some.