Locks..... Which one(s)?

CrankyGuy89
CrankyGuy89 Posts: 23
edited August 2014 in Road beginners
So I'm on the verge of purchasing a new £1600 bike. It will be my pride and joy, and I don't want some scallywag getting his grubby fingers on it. So what is the best way to fully lock it up?

An evening of research has shown me that the Kryptonite New York is a very tough lock and is pretty much the best you'll get. But it's going to need something to secure the wheels, the seat and the seatpost, (Brooks saddle and Suntour suspension seatpost is nearing £140!).

So how do you guys make sure that no light fingered crook runs off with your bike/ wheels/ saddle when you and your bike is away from home?

Comments

• BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    I don't leave it unattended. I'm a weight weenie so the last thing I want to do is lug around a lock.
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    I have a Kryptonite Evolution 4 I use at work etc. Team it with one of their long cable things to make it so you can't nick the wheel the lock isn't through.

Basically though you want any secure gold rated lock.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    When I'm away from home, mike bike is under my arse.
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    When I'm away from home, mike bike is under my ars*.

Good for you but your answer doesn't really help this guy know how to lock up his bike at work (or elsewhere, though I'd only take a bike this expensive to be locked at work personally) does it...
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • As far as I know, one of the best options to protect your seat post, fork, and wheels are the pinhead locks http://goo.gl/xLcJMJ. Take a look at those and do some research on them before buying.
    However, it will only protect your seat post, not the saddle itself...
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Try over in Communters... roadies tend not to leave precious all alone.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    birdie23 wrote:
    When I'm away from home, mike bike is under my ars*.

Good for you but your answer doesn't really help this guy know how to lock up his bike at work (or elsewhere, though I'd only take a bike this expensive to be locked at work personally) does it...

No, I guess it doesn't dad.......
  • good,Try over in Communters... roadies tend not to leave precious all alone.thanks1mnQwaB
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    http://www.lfgss.com/conversations/144109/

the first post(s) are updated with latest news on locks

basics:

cable locks can be cut fast with a hand tool
    any other lock can be cut with a power tool
    high value parts, wheels etc. can be stolen leaving the rest still locked
    crowded areas, cameras and security guards are no deterrent
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Thanks everyone. I think I've finally settled on what I'm going to get to fully secure it. Kryptolock Fahgetaboutit/New York for the main lock, and Atomic 22 wheel, seat post, saddle and stem locks as second. And if it is going to be left somewhere a bit dodgy, a cable to whip through the lot too, as a visual deterant more than anything. Total cost of just over £200, but thats still cheaper than replacing 1 wheel, probably.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    Can you still open the New York lock with a ballpoint pen ? :-)

http://youtu.be/PCxHD9_uEf8

In any case the Krytonite NY fergedderboutit lock and chain will resist large bolt croppers for about 10 seconds.

What thieves do when they get something they can't cut is to glue up the lock, then they come back at night and nick all the parts not secured with the lock.

Or if you lock it to a railing or post they cut through the post with a portable angle grinder.

Don't expect your 1600 quid bike to last long.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    Thanks everyone. I think I've finally settled on what I'm going to get to fully secure it. Kryptolock Fahgetaboutit/New York for the main lock, and Atomic 22 wheel, seat post, saddle and stem locks as second. And if it is going to be left somewhere a bit dodgy, a cable to whip through the lot too, as a visual deterant more than anything. Total cost of just over £200, but thats still cheaper than replacing 1 wheel, probably.

don't leave it anywhere dodgy!

i had a much cheaper bike pinched in full view of cameras, guards and plenty of passersby, the thieving scum just use the crowds for cover

in london i often see discarded cut cable locks and jacked d-locks, plus umpteen bikes that have had bits pinched

keep the d-lock/chain well above ground level and croppers won't work (not enough leverage, unless the incredible hulk is the thief), keep the inside of the d full of bike to prevent it being jacked open

but a kryptonite cable is trivial to cut with a small hand tool
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Thiefs can nick any bike , it's all about slowing them down and making them choose the bike next door. I have two of these for at home ;-

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/ ... re+Details

It goes through the bikes frames and wheels amongst other things. As for leaving it on the street chained ? , never.
  • Millidog
    Millidog Posts: 32
    Use 2 or 3 locks !