Bike help

hitchen92
hitchen92 Posts: 264
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi

Well I've been out of the MTB world for about 4 years and looking to get back into it. Been having a look at full suspension bikes for around the £2k mark, but I'm limited as to where I buy it as I need to finance the bike (as I'm a poor student :P )

I've been looking at a Cube Stereo 140 Race 29er 2014, reduced from £2799 to £2000. It seems unbelievable value for money, and I almost put pen to paper today for one, but looking for some honest opinions on it if you have any.... Or if you can recommend anything else (taking into account the place of purchase would have to offer some sort of 0% deal).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Kris

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Have you ridden a 29er, not everybody likes them?

Have a look at pedalon though, just got a 2014trance from there for 1900 and depending on the finance type you'll get podium points to spend on some freebies, I picked up about £350 worth.
  • hitchen92
    Last time I rode i had a Stumpjumper S-Works.... And a Santa Cruz Heckler, these were both in 26" wheel days... How will I find the 29er different?
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Personally I didn't like them,handling seemed slower and seemed too high. Don't rule them out, try get a ride on one, a lot of people love them. It's just a lot of money to spend without having ridden one.
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    hitchen92 wrote:
    Last time I rode i had a Stumpjumper S-Works.... And a Santa Cruz Heckler, these were both in 26" wheel days... How will I find the 29er different?

You really need to try a 29er to answer that.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • hitchen92
    Anyone got any reviews of the Cube Stereo 140 Race 29er?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I prefer my 29er XC MTB but my wife dislikes big wheels and has a 26er XC MTB. Go to a shop and have a look and do some test rides.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    hitchen92 wrote:
    Anyone got any reviews of the Cube Stereo 140 Race 29er?

There are probably some on line but a test ride is the only way to know if you like it and as a poor student putting it on finance I cant imagine anything worse than knowing you are paying each month for something you dont like for the next couple of years. Get it right if you are going to have to pay for it over a period of time otherwise everytime you look at it and decide not to go out because its not as fun as you had hoped you are going to feel it in your wallet!

A good bike is a bike you enjoy riding not one someone wrote nice things about.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Whilst that is true, the better reviews will tell you what they do and don't like about a bike which you can then tailor to your viewpoint, still not the same as riding it of course.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.