brakes p*ssing me off

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited September 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Got deore brakes on the 456 (newer ones) and theyre forever over heating. Literally takes 1 squeeze of the lever and theyre squeeky and boiled.

I sanded the disk and changed the pads (shimano own brand) last weekend, but its made no difference.

I took the wheel out after another squeeky ride tonight, and the disk has a film of very shiny/oily feeling brake dust on it.

I cant find any leaks on the calipers so I'm assuming the pads are just cooking and glazing, but I have no such issue on the Canyon with 203mm disks and slx brakes.

I recently upped the rotors to 180mm from 160mm which also made bugger all difference.

Any ideas? Sand the disks again different brand of pads maybe?

Had loads of different brakes before, these are the only ones I've had cooling issues with!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are they the resin pads? Fit sintered.
  • Dont sintered get hotter?

Dropped a bit of water on them when they got squeely and it sizzled away!
  • supersonic
    Sintered do not fade as easier - plus conduct heat into the caliper, not the rotor. You'll probably get less crap on the rotor too.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Is it the shimano b01s resin pads you been using I had a similar thing happen, the pads would bed in fine and then next couple of rides would lose braking power and checking the pads they had glazed, found superstar Kevlar did a similar thing.

I've put sintered pads in a tiny bit of noise from the pads abrasion on the disc but so far so good the disc looks cleaner though.

Going to try organic pads at some point.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It can't possibly be boiling the liquid with one squeeze of the brakes, not physically possible, as suggested the resin pads aren't the best for some users though.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Northern Monkey, have you sorted your issue, was it the pads at fault ?
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    also interested to know - I have the same deore brakes and the same issue. now on my third different set of new pads having cleaned the rotors with my patented degreaser - dishwasher - IPA protocol and still having the same issue of black filmy residue on the rotors after a handful of rides

I've now bought some pipe cleaners and brake cleaner to try and clean every last bit of foreign debris out of the vent holes - if that still doesn't work I'm getting a new bike!
  • supersonic
    The pads are designed to leave some residue as part of the bedding in process. Are you having a loss of power?
  • Crozza
    yes, dramatically so after about 10-12 rides
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That's a bit meaningless, how long are the rides, what conditions?

Sounds more like a contamination issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Crozza
    The Rookie wrote:
    That's a bit meaningless, how long are the rides, what conditions?

Sounds more like a contamination issue.

I agree.

sorry, road only - but it's a hybrid with discs so thought I would get more joy here

but if it's a contamination issue, why isn't it fixed by getting rotors surgically clean and fitting new pads? if the latest new set start squealing then I'll get it into the shop as the calipers must be leaking fluid somehow. annoying as they are only 12 months old
  • I' ve had problems with Shimano brakes squealing from new. Occasionally a small amount of copper Slip on the back of the pads sorts the problem. This isn't to help with any kind of heat build up but to simply help stick the pads to the piston. It's worked for me in the past anyway.

The other thing I would do is just change the rotors. Some of the Shimano Rotors aren't great in my opinion.