Road bike clicking sound

Qwertybot101
Qwertybot101 Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in Workshop
I own a Fuji Roubaix and when I pedal, I get the same constant clicking sound as when I am coasting. I have heard that there shouldn't be any sound when pedaling so is there anything wrong with my bike?

Comments

• k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Could be. Hard to say without more info.

The most obvious reason for a noise when pedalling is the gears being slightly out of alignment. Is it new? Might just need a few turns of the cable adjuster.

Is it the same in all gears? The same standing up? The same if you don't hold the bars?
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • If it makes the same sound whether you're pedalling or not, it's most likely to be a wheel making the sound, either a bearing in the hub or something hitting a spoke, or (less likely) a brake pad rubbing on the rim.

Remove the wheels and spin them by hand to see which one is noisy. Off the bike they should both be practically silent when spinning. If one makes a noise, it's the hub. If they don't, put them back and see if anything on the frame is hitting them.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    ^This. I'm guessing you have Shimano gears, and I'm lead to believe these have a "silent" freewheel (unlike my Miche & Campag ones) so it could be almost anything! A loose spoke perhaps. Something on the tyre catching a seatstay or fork. Or a brake block "clicking" on a rim joint.