Constant creaking from the BB area

mattyboy199
mattyboy199 Posts: 627
edited August 2014 in Workshop
I've recently replaced my press fit BB on my Giant TCR 2 due to the constant creak it gave off....so first ride on the new BB & the creak still remains, even if i apply no pressure (by hand) on the cranks its still creaks. Its not the pedals could it be the hollow axle bonded into the spider has worked its way loose ? i've run out of ideas :(

Regards

Matt
Show me your green bits i might buy them !

Comments

• sopworth
    sopworth Posts: 191
    Matt,
    Please don't think I'm being sarcastic or rude but are you sure it's the BB? I had a guy at my club going mental one Sunday with a creak. He was convinced it was his BB. At the cafe stop we discovered it was in fact his rear hub bearings.
    Just a thought mate given you have already replaced one BB.
    S
  • mattyboy199
    mattyboy199 Posts: 627
    edited August 2014
    It may not be the BB at all, this is my 3rd BB in a little over 2 years, im simply brain storming. After reading a few other posts it could be the rear hub, spokes or headset. Looks like my sunday will be spent cleaning & greasing everything.
  • sopworth
    sopworth Posts: 191
    Sorry Matt, I misread you initially. I'd defo have a look at the hubs. Do you have a spare set you can swap on the bike? Good luck mate, I know random creaks are a pain.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    Have you checked your rear QR? I've had this creak, convinced it was the BB, tightened the rear QR = creak gone..
  • Did you put loctite 641 or similar on when replacing the bottom bracket? It cured my creak instantly
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Check the pedals, and the pedal threads, (grease them).
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    I had a creak on my old Ribble and was convinced it was the bottom bracket, which I replaced to no avail! It turned out to be the bolt which clamps the saddle rails to the seat post needed nipping up. I have also had the one where tightening up the rear quick release gets rid of a creak.
  • I to suffered with the same problem. Turned out it was the skewer on the front not tightened sufficiently, worth a try. Good luck.
  • Yesterday i stripped down the rear hub with no change, i also checked the skewer in doing this. Next step is a pedal swap, front skewer check, seat clamp check. If none of these help it will then be headset strip & crank inspection.