Crankset Questions - Help!

rider25
rider25 Posts: 72
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Hi folks,

(Originally posted in Commuting Workshop - now deleted)

I've predominantly got Sora groupset on my commuter - 8-speed triple with a 68 x 113 square taper bb. I need to replace the crankset but, unless I'm missing something, there isn't an abundance of options if I were to keep the existing BB. If I'm wrong, links welcome!

My understanding is limited but, from what I've read, I could replace it with an Octalink or Hollowtech II BB - therefore giving me greater options for upgrading the crankset. Is it as simple as a straight swap with the relevant tools. If so, I assume the new BB needs to have exactly the same dimensions (i.e. 68 x 113).

Also, am I right in thinking that the new crankset could be a 9 speed triple? Would I need to replace the chain?

Questions, questions, questions.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Simplest option would be to go for another square taper crankset, possibly with a new BB. Still plenty to choose from. Look at Spa Cycles eg http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 0s109p2801

If you go for the slightly newer but no longer produced Octalink option then yes, you'd need the same dimension BB. However, I'd have thought Octalink cranksets and BBs would be harder to find than aftermarket square taper ones.

If you go for Hollowtech 2 then the axle is part of the crankset so all HT2 bearings will accomodate all HT2 cranksets.

A 9 speed triple chainset will have ever so slightly thinner chainrings, but wouldn't require a change of chain.
  • rider25
    rider25 Posts: 72
    Excellent. Thanks for your response, Keef.