Trek emonda vs Wilier gtr

Silverknapper
Silverknapper Posts: 15
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi folks

Apologies for adding to the which bike stream of threads. But I'm brand new to road biking and completely lost. Many thanks for reading this far!!

I'm in the market for a road bike up to £1500. It's for general riding, no commuting.

I seem to have arrived at two options. The trek emonda S5 with 105 at £1500 or the Wilier GTR at £1250 with veloce. ( I'm also interested to see opinions on wether or not the tiagra equipped emonda S4 is better value at £1200.)

Am I off the mark with these options. Should I be looking elsewhere? I'm keen to buy from a lbs as I'm so new to road biking I value their help and advice. Between them all the shops cover most brands. In saying that I do have a merlin MTB

Cheers

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    By the Wilier GTR you mean the Triestina GTR rather than the old GTR which would be a little more expensive even at second hand prices. The Wilier is a good bike ready for Di2 should you want to go that way. The frame is a cross between full on racer and sportive so you get the stiffness of a race frame with the comfort of a sportive frame. Somehow they got it to work. The internal cabling for the rear derailleur is a bastard to thread so be prepared for a few frustrating moments when you need to do it if you do your own servicing/building. I ditched all the components off mine as I just wanted a frame and it was cheaper buying a Veloce equipped bike than a frame on its own once I sold the original components off. What I do know of the original components from others that have the same bike, is that you have to ensure the FSA Gossamer non-drive side crank arm is torqued correctly on a regular basis as they can drop off.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    Another month and I reckon you'll get an Ultegra GTR for £1600 if you can stretch budget a little?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    The correct answer is "whichever fits you better" so go and ride them both and see.

The proper answer is "the Italian one, obviously"!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Go for the Trek Enema
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    Trek customer service is one of the best, with frames coming with a lifetime warranty, and a reduced cost frame replacement should you crash and wreck your frame.

Don't know what guarantee Wilier offer.
  • Thanks for the advice folks.

Yeah its the Triestina GTR Philthy. In the sales.

It's strange, my heart says GTR but head says Trek. Especially with the new 105 and frame warranty. I think the Wilier is a 5 year warranty if you extend it online for free

Interestingly the 105 trek is £300 more than the Tiagra one. Yet I could buy the new 105 for £300 online.

As usual I'm now getting more carried away and looking at the Emonda SL5.

There are no reviews on these as they're so new sadly. Though no one has a bad thing to say about the GTR and it looks so gorgeous.

Decisions
  • Elfed
    The SL5 has a 5 series frame which is a much lighter and better frame than the 3 series, which is two steps down in Trek's frame hierarchy. It's got internal cabling, plus a seatmast instead of a seat tube.

It's £100 more than the 6800 equipped S6, but it's the frame that it's all about in the end(so I'm told...), and that green paint scheme is pretty nice, different and a change from stealth black.
  • It's strange, my heart says GTR but head says Trek. Especially with the new 105 and frame warranty. I think the Wilier is a 5 year warranty if you extend it online for free

This is not meant as a criticism of Trek, but you have to be realistic as to what the lifetime warranty actually means. It doesn't mean if the frame ever breaks in your lifetime it will be replaced. It means it will be replaced if you can show the failure was due to faulty manufacture. As time goes on, the onus of this proof gradually passes more from the manufacturer to the owner.

As an example, I own a 2006 Trek Madone 5.2 SL. I've done about 24,000 miles on it. If it broke now, I'd be hard pressed to show it was down to a manufacturing defect. And, in fairness, after that age and mileage any failure would almost certainly not be.

Clearly, I've been very happy with the service my Trek has given me, and would recommend it on that basis. Just don't be taken in by marketing speak.
  • The GTR ultegra is now £1600. The 105 is 1450.

Compared to a emonda SL5 at £ 1900 does anyone gave any thoughts on what they would take please.

Thanks.
  • Elfed
    The GTR ultegra is now £1600. The 105 is 1450.

Compared to a emonda SL5 at £ 1900 does anyone gave any thoughts on what they would take please.

Thanks.

The SL5 has the new 11 speed 5800 105 which should be an improvement over the 5700 version.
    Which version has the Wilier got?
  • The old version. With FSA cranks and own brand brakes.
  • Elfed
    The old version. With FSA cranks and own brand brakes.

The SL5 has the full 5800 groupset.
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    The GTR has FSA brakes, not own brand - so comparable quality to 105 I believe.

At £1600 I can highly recommend the Ultegra - just starting to get out on mine more now. Absolutely love it. Crankset is FSA Goss Pro - obviously both brakes and crank are Wilier branded. With the cash you save you can buy 6800 brakes for around £40-45 each and crankset for less than £140 if you felt like upgrading.
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    I would go for the Ultegra Wilier GTR at that discounted price - they look gorgeous compared to the Treks.