Condor Fratello or Ribble 525 or? (winter bike/light tour)

bobmcstuff
bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Looking at the possibility of getting a winter trainer that also doubles as a light tourer (weekending, supported tours etc. - my brother is living about ~100 miles away from me at the moment and liking the idea of cycling down to see him). Budget probably £1kish

The Condor Fratello seems like it would completely fit the bill, and looks really nice too, but is a little expensive (common problem with Condor I can see!). The Ribble 525 also looks good but can't work out if it would take 28mm tyres or not?

Would be a big advantage if I can get it on cycle to work (we're on cyclescheme) (Condor are) or 0% finance (Ribble offer this). In fact I don't think it will get past the finance board otherwise :D

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Going to be very tricky to get the Condor in at £1k. Even with SRAM Apex (bought from Merlin) you still only have £100 left for wheels, tyres, and finishing kit.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • bobmcstuff
    Yeah it looks that way - if it's possible to get the frame/forks and groupset for under £1k on cyclescheme I could just buy the other bits myself, I've got some wheels knocking about which would do. Looks like it comes in around £900 with Tiagra groupset (which suits me just fine). Or the cheapest build comes in at about £1,200, if they'll let me take the £1k on C2W then pay the £200 that would work - I can't see how you can get any of their bikes on C2W otherwise!

It's a very nice looking frame.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Yeah it looks that way - if it's possible to get the frame/forks and groupset for under £1k on cyclescheme I could just buy the other bits myself, I've got some wheels knocking about which would do. Looks like it comes in around £900 with Tiagra groupset (which suits me just fine). Or the cheapest build comes in at about £1,200, if they'll let me take the £1k on C2W then pay the £200 that would work - I can't see how you can get any of their bikes on C2W otherwise!

It's a very nice looking frame.

Condor allowed me to top up mine when I purchased my Italia. I don't think its allowed as such but they were happy to sort it out!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • bobmcstuff
    That's good to know - thanks!

I know some bike shops will do it and some won't.
  • If you wamt a small ome I kmow a mimt secodhamd ome for sale?

sorry my keyoard is fuc%^&
  • bobmcstuff
    Hmm small would probably be a bit too small for me... I'm riding a medium Giant Defy at the moment, normally about a 54.

I got a reply from them about Cyclescheme (from a guy in London at 10.30pm, which is dedicated of him), and my employer says I can apply again so I'll see what happens.

Still open to other similar options...
  • equilibrium?
  • bobmcstuff
    Doesn't look like the Equilibrium as pannier mounts? It's got the looks though.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Think the 2015 model has pannier mounts. Alternatively, just fit one to the guard mounts and get one of those seat clamps that allows you to bolt a pannier to it.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Yep, the 2015 Equilibriums have mounting points for a rack. I do like the look of the Athena equipped Equilibrium...
  • bobmcstuff
    Cool, I'll see if anywhere near here has any in stock. I know my favourite LBS does Genesis but don't recall seeing that one.
  • If you wamt a small ome I kmow a mimt secodhamd ome for sale?

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but if you know of a Condor Fratello for sale I'd be really interested?
  • bobmcstuff
    LBS has a '14 Equilibrium Disc but don't have the '15 ones yet, nice looking bike though.

Condor are being very responsive and helpful, if they keep it up I'll end up having ordered one by accident. Not sure on the colour yet.
  • menthel
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    LBS has a '14 Equilibrium Disc but don't have the '15 ones yet, nice looking bike though.

Condor are being very responsive and helpful, if they keep it up I'll end up having ordered one by accident. Not sure on the colour yet.

Custom? Its £100 extra, up to £300 for a full custom designed paint job...
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    105 now £299 at ribble.

Personally I'd hock some spare bits, get 105 from ribble and then Fratello and Campag Zonda from condor (they will do a good price if you ask them). Should leave a few quid for bars, saddle etc also from Condor.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • bobmcstuff
    Bender, unfortunately it has to be a full bike for the cyclescheme, they won't let me do just for the frameset. I've got Zondas on my other bike at the mo but thinking something a bit more heavy duty on the Fratello if I'm going to be sticking panniers on it. Probably just use the bog standard Condor wheels to begin with, they look perfectly functional, can always switch the Zondas over as and when if I feel the need.

menthel, I like the colours they have, I just can't decide which I would want! I think Slate would look better with a brown Brooks saddle, bar tape and chromed finishing kit (the cheaper Condor stuff). Light blue looks pretty classy, but would want probably black finishing kit. Not keen on the orange. Although british racing green would be cool...
  • menthel
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Bender, unfortunately it has to be a full bike for the cyclescheme, they won't let me do just for the frameset. I've got Zondas on my other bike at the mo but thinking something a bit more heavy duty on the Fratello if I'm going to be sticking panniers on it. Probably just use the bog standard Condor wheels to begin with, they look perfectly functional, can always switch the Zondas over as and when if I feel the need.

menthel, I like the colours they have, I just can't decide which I would want! I think Slate would look better with a brown Brooks saddle, bar tape and chromed finishing kit (the cheaper Condor stuff). Light blue looks pretty classy, but would want probably black finishing kit. Not keen on the orange. Although british racing green would be cool...

It will look nice whichever colour you choose!
    RIP commute...
  • flintlock
    flintlock Posts: 105
    Anybody interested in a 2013 58cm fratello frameset in grey?
  • If were 52cm I would have it in a heartbeat!
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    muppetteer wrote:
    If you wamt a small ome I kmow a mimt secodhamd ome for sale?

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but if you know of a Condor Fratello for sale I'd be really interested?
    I might have, an orange one size 55.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    a Bob Jackson?
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    a Bob Jackson?

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/produ ... ucts_id=44

is ribble 525 as good as old 531 pro tubing?
  • bobmcstuff
    They look fantastic!! Only issue is time (apparently 6 weeks plus to delivery, then I'd have to build it) and the lack of Cyclescheme. Lack of cyclescheme wouldn't be an issue if it was just me but my main supporting argument for getting this is the fact I can get it on cycle to work and that means it's basically free :D .

Condor do Cyclescheme, it's in stock in my size and the colour I want (or I think I want) and if I pay a deposit they'll start getting it sorted before my Cyclescheme voucher comes through.

Could definitely see myself on a Bob Jackson in the future though.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    They look fantastic!! Only issue is time (apparently 6 weeks plus to delivery, then I'd have to build it) and the lack of Cyclescheme. Lack of cyclescheme wouldn't be an issue if it was just me but my main supporting argument for getting this is the fact I can get it on cycle to work and that means it's basically free :D .

Condor do Cyclescheme, it's in stock in my size and the colour I want (or I think I want) and if I pay a deposit they'll start getting it sorted before my Cyclescheme voucher comes through.

Could definitely see myself on a Bob Jackson in the future though.

Last time I spoke to Bob Jackson about buying a frame off them via C2W they seemed remarkably accommodating. Worth giving them a call before ruling them out....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bobmcstuff
    Haha, thanks for making the choice more difficult :D

Those Bob Jacksons build up really nice. Very retro.

Just to check I'm not being an idiot, if I normally ride a 54cm frame I can just do 54/2.54 = 21.25", so a 20" or 20.5" frame right?
  • bobmcstuff
    After a couple of sleepless nights I decided to go with the Fratello... I do want *a* lugged steel framed road bike but I don't think I want that to be this bike, if you see what I mean... I think if I got one I'd have to choose the build very carefully as I think it would be easy to ruin the looks.

So cyclescheme request is in, and has been approved by my employer already (remarkably fast work for them!), just need to wait for the certificate to come through and pay the excess.

If anyone is interested in the Bob Jacksons there are a few bike shops that are on Cyclescheme who will build one up for you and let you top up the value.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Flintlock, what condition is it in and how much were you thinking?
  • flintlock
    flintlock Posts: 105
    JamesEs

Pm sent.