First Build - 456 Evo II

Junglist_SoulJah
Junglist_SoulJah Posts: 16
edited August 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Just been getting back into biking over the last few months. I decided to upgrade my old bike rather than buying new and it kind of snowballed into me deciding i might as well just build up a new bike :D
I wanted something with slacker angles more suited to the rougher side of XC.
So with the new parts i bought for my old bike and a few new bits I’m about to embark on my first build. My total budget being under £1k

So far i have:

Crank Brothers Iodine 2 700mm bars
IMG_1409_zps87dbc2c4.jpg
IMG_1410_zpsb5639e87.jpg

Crank Brothers Iodine 2 90mm Stem (probably be swapped out for a shorter stem at some point)
IMG_1411_zpscbd91538.jpg

Epicon XC 100mm-140mm (currently at 100mm but will be extending before being fitted)
IMG_1404_zps8a02305e.jpg

SLX Groupset inc brakes
IMG_1416_zpsc52b1513.jpg

Stans ZTR rims with Deore hubs
IMG_1412_zps1e86354c.jpg
IMG_1414_zpsb22b9ef4.jpg

Wellgo MG1 Peddals
IMG_1406_zps8ada2e3f.jpg

Continental Mountain King 2.2 x2 (still on old rims)
IMG_1405_zpsf35c46ba.jpg

waiting to be delivered:

FSA Orbit MX Headset
fsa-orbit-mx-headset-1-1-8-57602.jpg

On One 456 20” frame
FROO456E2_P5.jpg

XTools 18 piece tool kit
prod40997_IMGSET?wid=500&hei=500

ordering soon:

Blackspire Stinger Chain
0012168_blackspire_stinger_chain_tensioner.jpeg

I also want a bash guard but i'm undecided at the minute.

I will be doing most of the work myself, just need to take it to the lbs to have the head tube faced and have the headset fitted.

Any feedback or advice is welcomed. I may well be needing some tips over the next week or two as i build :D

Comments

• Welcome back to biking!

Building up a new bike is great fun and an excellent way of learning maintenance as well as getting the exact bike you want. You have some nice bits to put together there. Don't forget to budget for all the small stuff too- bar grips, saddle, seatpost, seatclamp, sterrer spacers, frame protection as it all adds up. (you may already have these bits anyway.)

After building up 2 bikes without one I would really recommend buying a bike repair stand; it makes life so much easier than grovelling around on the floor (build 1) or working on an upside down bike on a table (build 2).
    I bought one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bike-Hand-Folding-Bicycle-Repair/dp/B00CBTUPPS and I wouldn't be without it now. (n.b. other stands are available, cheaper or dearer).

I use masking tape on the frame anywhere you are likely to damage the paint finish when assembling. Now is also the time to apply frame protection before your cables rub through your paintjob, not after.

If you are getting your LBS to fit the headset are they going to fit the fork too? It's an easy enough job to do but fitting a star nut can be tricky first time round and do decide how much steerer length/spacers you want before cutting it down, or leave it long and fit the spacers accordingly to get the bar height right for you.

Good luck with the build, don't forget to look in the workshop forum for tips and advice.
  • Looks promising - I love watching builds like this.
  • Thanks for the advice. Yeah I already have grips, saddle and spacers. Will need a new seat post though, the frame arrived yesterday and my old post is too thin. Hadn't thought about frame protection, any recommendations?

No I will be fitting the forks myself. Just waiting for the headset to arrive then i'll be taking it into the lbs.
  • New seat post and and Blackspire Stinger arrived today, I went for the Crank Brothers Cobalt 1 seatpost.

I just fitted the BB, chain guide, crank set and front mech. I think i may have the wrong front mech type though. Am i correct in thinking it is designed to be cabled from the BB rather than from above? When ordering the groupset from Merlin it dint specify what type it was or give me the option to choose.

IMG_1478_zps28abee3c.jpg
    IMG_1479_zps183e8933.jpg

The only thing holding up the build now is waiting for the headset to arrive. CRC sent it by first class mail so i have no way of tracking it. The seat post and chain guide where ordered after the headset and turned up before :?
  • that front mech is fine mate, it will pull from the top or bottom. The fitting instructions will highlight how to route the cable. Basiclly if its top pull route the cable to the outside edge of the bolt. :D nice build btw
  • jamesg23 wrote:
    that front mech is fine mate, it will pull from the top or bottom. The fitting instructions will highlight how to route the cable. Basiclly if its top pull route the cable to the outside edge of the bolt. :D nice build btw

Nice one, thanks for the heads up :)
  • My head set from CRC got lost in the post so 2 and a half weeks after ordering the headset finally arrived. Had it fitted the other day then built up the rest of the bike myself.
    Had problems setting up the rear mech. The guide wheel wont line up with the smallest two cogs. I've spent a fair amount of time messing around with the adjustment screws with no luck. Other than that the bike is fully set up now. Had a ride into town on it today and the gears are working smoothly, I just cant get into the last two high gears.

I've booked it into the LBS for monday to have the brake hoses cut down and I will get them to have a look at the rear mech if I havn't figured it out myself by then.

Not had much look extending the travel on the forks either, had them apart today but i cant the pin out which sets the amount of travel.

All in all though I'm very happy with the bike so far and cant wait to take it out on a proper ride once the above issues have been ironed out. Not weighed it yet but it feels a lot lighter than my old bike. :D

DSC_0282_zpsfd742cb9.jpg
    DSC_0284_zps7876b0da.jpg
    DSC_0283_zps9832eb63.jpg
  • Spec

Frame: On One 456 EVO II
    Forks: SR Suntour Epicon XC
    Bars: Crank Brothers Iodine 2 700mm
    Stem: Crank Brothers Iodine 2 90mm
    Headset: FSA Orbit MX
    Grips: Lizard Skins Northshore
    Bar Ends:

Front Brake Lever assy: Shimano SLX
    Front Caliper: Shimano SLX
    Front disc: Shimano SLX
    Rear Brake Lever assy: Shimano SLX
    Rear Caliper: Shimano SLX
    Rear Disc: Shimano SLX
    Hoses: Shimano SLX

Shifters:
    Cables: Shimano SLX
    Front Mech: Shimano SLX
    Rear Mech: Shimano SLX
    Chain Device: Blackspire Stinger

Seat: ??? (from old bike, will be upgraded soon)
    Seat Post: Crank Brothers Colbolt 1
    Seat Post Clamp: On One

Cranks: Shimano SLX
    Chainring(s): Shimano SLX x2
    Chain: Shimano SLX
    Cassette: Shimano SLX x10
    Pedals: Welgo MG-1
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano SLX

Front Wheel:
    Rim: Stans ZTR Olympic
    Spokes: ??
    Hub: Shimano Deore