Full suss advise

UKES
UKES Posts: 23
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, new poster so please be gentle! Not sure if this should be in beginners but figured Id probably get better advise here!

Okay, so about 6 months ago I got my first bike in years, naturally its a hardtail........I think you know how the story goes so I wont bore you to death, long and short is ive got the bug, and I want, need, desperately must have a full suss :mrgreen:

So, I dont want something that im gonna have to upgrade after a year and Im thinking 3k should get me something decent, is that too much for a newb or too little for something decent? Ive scoured sites like Santa Cruz (I wish), Canyon and Nukeproof etc and am massively confused about what I actually need, Cross country, trail, all mountain.....Id basically use it for trails, and any countryside I can find with 15 miles of my house BUT I also want something that is suitable for stuff like the Peaks for when im fit enough to get my fat arse up there!

Any advise would be appreciated :mrgreen:

Thanks

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    140mm travel will be fine on a 26" wheeled bike, 120mm max on a 29" wheeled bike. So that'll narrow the search down a little :)

Loads of excellent options - Transition Bandit, Lapierre Zesty, Giant Trance, Nukeproof Mega etc.etc. You read the reviews, ride what you can, pays your money and takes your choice.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • UKES
    140mm travel will be fine on a 26" wheeled bike, 120mm max on a 29" wheeled bike. So that'll narrow the search down a little :)

Loads of excellent options - Transition Bandit, Lapierre Zesty, Giant Trance, Nukeproof Mega etc.etc. You read the reviews, ride what you can, pays your money and takes your choice.

Yeah I love the Zesty and the Nukeproofs to be fair, Canyons seem really higly specced for the price. Will deffo be 650b though. I have a 26" and ive tried 29er's, summat in between would be perfect I think.

I might look see if I can find a demo day somewhere.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    For what you ride I would look at something like the Trek Fuel EX, Giant Anthem or Kona Process 111. Nothing with too much suspension or super slack geometry.
    I would probably avoid the Nukeproof Mega unless you intend to ride pretty hard, even the short travel Mega TR is a little heavy and has quite slack geometry. I had a Giant Anthem before I got my Mega TR and for the riding you describe that was a much better bike.
  • UKES
    Thanks Rock monkey

In fairness im only just beggining to look at the geomatry side, find it a little confusing :oops:

For example, if you look at the lappier range, am, tr and x control I actually struggle to see the diffence, but there clearly is, ive no idea of the implications on how either would have an effect on my rides. I suppose im after an all rounder of sorts, although which of those would be more suitable i have no idea. I obviously know that the slacker the geomentry the better for dh but whats the line between some thats too slack and something thats not?

I suppose the majority of my rides would be trails.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I would focus on getting a bike that's well designed and works for you rather than following a set pattern. I'm currently riding a 65degree head angle 140mm travel FS that is much faster on tight xc trails than any of my steeper, shorter travel bikes ever were.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.