frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited August 2014 in Pro race
froome-copy.jpg
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    They are very excited about this over in the asylum, as is Steve Tilford who says that this now makes him more suspicious of Froome than he is of Wiggins! Terrible from a presentational perspective for Froome, who surely could have found someone other than bottle to show him round...of course lots of the new generation of Americans also ride with bottle (Levi) so I don't know what that proves.

The reaction on Tilford's blog to Levi turning up at various fondos and gravel races, "winning" and then donating "stolen" prize money to charity is very interesting - there is no love or forgiveness for him in US racing circles, which is something that he has apparently acknowledged while remaining "unrepentant".
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    Tip for photographers: if you want to take a photo of Froome, just hold a stem where you want him to look...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Still has his wrist strapped up
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    There is absolutely nothing in that to raise any suspicion whatsoever. If there were another 10 riders out of shot it also wouldn't raise anyone's eyebrows if they were all in it. IF it's just him and Levi then Froome is a bit thick, he must have some awareness of how press and more so social media reacts to these things.

Mind you, I remember seeing photos of him riding alongside Contador in some big race or other, that's as bad :)
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    mfin wrote:
    IF it's just him and Levi then Froome is a bit thick, he must have some awareness of how press and more so social media reacts to these things.

Well I'm betting there was at least one other person there!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,173
    mfin wrote:
    There is absolutely nothing in that to raise any suspicion whatsoever. If there were another 10 riders out of shot it also wouldn't raise anyone's eyebrows if they were all in it. IF it's just him and Levi then Froome is a bit thick, he must have some awareness of how press and more so social media reacts to these things.
    At some point you just have to stop caring what those aspects of media (social and mainstream) say. If it wasn't this it would be something else.

I lose track of which dopers are acceptable and which are not. Had he been training with Millar that would have been fine. What about Tyler Hamilton? I reckon that would have been seen as OK. No-one was too fussed that he used to be coached by Jullich and giving an exclusive interview to Kimmage is more than OK. But just posing for a photo with Vino though is terrible. And signing for Tinkoff/Riis will cause no outcry for Sagan or EBH.
    coriordan wrote:
    It's nine days ago though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Sjaak
    Sjaak Posts: 99
    RichN95 wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    It's nine days ago though.

1950s more like judging by the 'quality' of the photo
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Hipstamatic or Instagram filter?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,870
    Why is he riding over there anyway? Seems odd with European races to prepare for. I would have thought he'd be in the south of France, Spain or the Canaries.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Pross wrote:
    Why is he riding over there anyway? Seems odd with European races to prepare for. I would have thought he'd be in the south of France, Spain or the Canaries.

That is what I thought. He has been over there for a long time now.
    Photo from 2 and 3 weeks ago:
    http://instagram.com/michellecound
    Contador is the Greatest
  • PR Gaffe... for sure.

Is there no-one else he could have asked to show him round?
  • RichN95.
    edited August 2014
    PR Gaffe... for sure.

It's not really a gaffe. Only a small group of doping obsessives give a toss, and they make out everything he does is connected to doping anyway. There's no point pandering to them. For everyone else it's a non-story - it's Leipheimer not Michele Ferrari. And there must be others with them - I don't think a monkey took that photo.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    PR Gaffe... for sure.

I don't think he gives a monkey's about PR. He'll be crucified whatever he does.

Edit: What Rich said.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Why does it look like a game from 1998?
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    That is the least convincing picture of anything I have ever seen...
    :D
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Yup. He's defo doping. And David Icke is right about those pesky reptilian shapeshifters.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    PR Gaffe... for sure.

I don't think he gives a monkey's about PR. He'll be crucified whatever he does.

Edit: What Rich said.
    I understand the point you are trying to make, but I still feel he could have picked a partner better or not publicly shown he was riding with Levi.

This was a guy who even allowed the set up of a "Let Levi Ride" website (IIRC) when he was doping and excluded from the Tour de France along with Astana.

Its not like he hasn't played the system.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,870
    I think the uproar had he been caught secretly training with Levi would have been worse, at least he is being open and not trying to hide who he is riding with.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    :lol: As much as I dislike the guy you have to laugh at the responses to this.

So he goes off to the US to ride with Levi so of course in the evening after dinner they must be shooting up together :roll:

Cycling fans can be so sad. At least in football we just bitch that they are shite generally. Gerrard trained with Suarez doesn't make him a cannibal.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,211
    I'm trying to think of things I care less about than who Chris Froome rides his bike with. It's a short list so far.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Come on -- I'll ride my bike, shake-hands, drink, and talk with anyone.

Guilt by association has reached a new level.

Rich's point is correct. Some dopers have the international seal of approval, others don't. One could argue that Levi was the real victim of the Lance smackdown. While I wouldn't shed any tears for him, JV and the Garmin boys still walk on water and it is only Levi who lost his job.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    RichN95 wrote:
    PR Gaffe... for sure.

It's not really a gaffe. Only a small group of doping obsessives give a toss, and they make out everything he does is connected to doping anyway. There's no point pandering to them. For everyone else it's a non-story - it's Leipheimer not Michele Ferrari. And there must be others with them - I don't think a monkey took that photo.

Surprised? Non Monsieur.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I understand the point you are trying to make, but I still feel he could have picked a partner better or not publicly shown he was riding with Levi.
    This was a guy who even allowed the set up of a "Let Levi Ride" website (IIRC) when he was doping and excluded from the Tour de France along with Astana.
    Its not like he hasn't played the system.
    I have considerably more discontent with the current GT riders that have played the system than same old ex-pro that just happens to go for a ride with Froome.
    There really can't be another sport where so much is made of so little.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Guilt by association. The papers will be thinking Levi is doping again after his ride with Froome.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Joelsim wrote:
    Guilt by association. The papers will be thinking Levi is doping again after his ride with Froome.

:) Neatly put!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    Peter Sagan ‏@petosagan
    Trainings are more fun with @Roman86_K Hope we will have fun together at #Vuelta as well

BuslYBBIYAAORc6.jpg

DOPER DOPER DOPER They very much are not crying...

I'm about as surprised as Joel...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,569
    ddraver wrote:
    Peter Sagan ‏@petosagan
    Trainings are more fun with @Roman86_K Hope we will have fun together at #Vuelta as well

BuslYBBIYAAORc6.jpg

DOPER DOPER DOPER They very much are not crying...

I'm about as surprised as Joel...

But Kreuziger isn't a doper, it's just the UCI trying to screw him over :wink::wink::lol:
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    Yup. He's defo doping. And David Icke is right about those pesky reptilian shapeshifters.

Wasn't David Icke pretty much on the money with regards child abusers in high places?

What I find odd about this is that Froome should even want to associate with the likes of Leipheimer. After all, Leipheimer was a central player in 'the biggest fraud in the history of sport' and part of the fall-out of that affair is the cynicism that dominates when Froome does his 'comedy motorbike impressions'. If I were Froome and if I were clean I would be very 'pissed' with Levipheimer and the rest of his gang. Of course, if I weren't as clean as the Sky PR machine makes out, what better what to 'thumb a nose' at the critics by associating with the likes of Leipheimer? :wink:
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • RichN95.
    After all, Leipheimer was a central player in 'the biggest fraud in the history of sport'
    No he wasn't