Changing to SRAM from Tiagra

bsharp77
bsharp77 Posts: 533
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Morning guys,

I have a Boardman Team Carbon that cam with mostly a Tiagara groupset on it and my plan is to change to SRAM as I love the double click system (and ill be able to use the bits I take off on another training bike).

I know much of SRAMs stuff is compatible with Shimano, but just wanted to ask what the minimum amount of parts I would need to change in order to run apex/force shifters?

Also, if anyone has experience of apex and force - is there much difference between the 2?

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    edited August 2014
    If you aren't changing number of speeds, you need shifters and a rear dérailleur.

If you are changing number of speeds, shifters, rear dérailleur, cassette and chain.

I will make the assumption that you are changing the number of speeds to 11, because you'll be buying rival 22/force 22. Therefore, you will probably need a new rear wheel, because 11 speed cassettes don't fit most older wheels.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Hi Discoboy,

Thanks a lot for the reply. No, to keep things simple (and cheaper) ill hopefully pick up some 10 speed shifters either on classifieds or eBay. Thats great - even less parts than I thought!
    Thanks for your help.
  • I can't talk about upgrading from Shimano to SRAM, but I have ridden Tiagra, Force and Rival (the groupset between Force and Apex in the SRAM Range).

I think the difference between Apex and Force will be considerable, esp in terms of weight and general quality and feel.

In Shimano terms it's the difference between Tiagra (apex) and Ultegra (Force), with Rival sitting in the middle roughly equivalent toe Shimano's 105 range.

I just upgraded the shifters on my CX from Rival to Force and immediately noticed a more solid feel to the shifting, and braking. The Rivals were very good, it's just that you can appreciate the greater feel of quality on the Force set.

I've just built a winter bike up from a frame I was given, and there are some great deals on SRAM Rival kit out there right now. Check out PlanetX in particular. I got a crank set, and a WiFli kit (cassette, rear derailleur and chain) for £160 brand new. I then picked up the Rival shifters (like new) in ebay for £110.