Clicking Boardman

OSBK
OSBK Posts: 3
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Howdo all

First post so bear with me. I have a Boardman MTB HT 2013, after 6 months i started getting grinding and clicking noises. It gradually got worst so on 10 months i took into Halfords, they replaced BB and hey presto problems solved...until i hit 15 miles and the clicking noise is back. I cant pinpoint where the clicking noise is coming from as it only clicks when pedalling under load. Surely it cannot be the BB already? maybe the pedals?

Any advice would be great thanks.

Comments

• Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    The BB cups probably need tightening up. Always do after a couple of rides when new (even the manual for external Shimano HT style BB's tells you to retighten the cups after 50miles). Was probably what was wrong with your first BB, not the bearings.

Can't remember how many times i've replaced external BB's unnecessarily when all that was wrong was the cups getting a bit loose in the threads and making clicking noises when standing up.
  • OSBK
    OSBK Posts: 3
    Thanks! Will give that a go:)
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Try some different pedals to eliminate them as a problem. The standard Wellgo platforms that come with the Boardmans are notoriously prone to clicking/grinding. I've had a good number back to the shop and a pedal swap often sorts the issue.