Seating dilemma

Manc33
Manc33 Posts: 2,157
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
I put Brooks Colt saddle on and it was comfy, but I had to get a setback seatpost (25mm setback).

Its not enough and I need that FSA one with 45mm setback, thing is there's only that one in existence!

People are crying out for a seatpost with 45mm setback and the one company that made them no longer makes them, but they are £50 used anyway, I wouldn't spend that on a seatpost.

If I put my carbon saddle on the problem is solved instantly, but I can't get used to it.

I'll just keep sitting on the rivets until they invent a seatpost with ample setback. :roll:

My current seatpost has 25mm setback, then there's the Orange Velo one with 30mm (only adds 5mm and would need a shim), then an FSA one with 32mm (only adds 7mm) then another FSA one with 45mm (adds 20mm) thats not in production. Clearly the one I need is that Wayback FSA one.

fM6Npxd.jpg?2

I can't even ask if anyone is selling one because I wouldn't pay more than £30 for it and they are £50 used on eBay. Already got a 120mm stem on.

Comments

• DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Some pros use stems as long as 150mm and it looks like that's your only course of action. Although, requiring 45mm of setback suggests your frame is too small for you.
  • Manc33
    DKay wrote:
    Some pros use stems as long as 150mm and it looks like that's your only course of action. Although, requiring 45mm of setback suggests your frame is too small for you.

No because with the carbon saddle on its fine. In fact the Brooks is right back and the carbon one I was too scared to have right back. The carbon saddle has a wide platform, on the Brooks thats where the rivets are with it pushed right back (which its safe to do because the rails are so short).

I can't change the stem because its an adjustable Richey. :lol:

All I can do is get another saddle I guess. Waiting for them to bring out a Selle SMP carbon "lookalike" in black. Aren't those meant to be about the most comfortable saddle? I like how they raise up at the back. Reminds me of those "Aeroyal" BMX saddles
  • Manc33
    Gonna try a battered old £4.99 "Viscount" saddle next. Rails look even shorter than the Brooks. :roll:

It is one of the cheapest saddles going, I am sure it was off my first MTB when I was 15... I am 37 now. :lol:

Thing is this saddle might be £4.99 (not joking, it is actually that price) it doesn't have rivets and allows you to sit right to the back of it. :wink: Plus its got enough foam to be comfy and is, I think, a womens saddle, even better! I love those big fat saddles.

It looks like this:

kjG16uV.jpg

Its the sort of saddle you'd find on those 100KG Halfords bikes that cost £94.99. :!:
  • Manc33
    Wow I cannot believe I have fixed this so easily. :mrgreen:

Tried a Brooks Colt, while it is extremely comfortable, the rivets take about 3/4 of an inch away from the seating area and it has short rails. I am also on flat bars, making the reach a lot shorter than road drop bars/hoods.

Tried a carbon saddle, that fixed the reach issue (longer rails than the Brooks) but it makes my nether region get sore after literally three miles, I know its because I'm not used to it but I don't think I want to go through all the soreness of it.

Put on a fantastically crap cheap £5 saddle thats ancient, its like sitting on an armchair and I am sat on the limit I admit, but it isn't too far forward now, the only difference really is I don't have those rivets there and know where I stand, the back of this cheap saddle... is the back.

Since those ultra crap saddles are only £5 I might treat myself to a new one but it has to be a womans lol... the comfort is even better than the Brooks. I know a Brooks would be better on really long rides but you can count on four hands the amount of those I have done in my lifetime.

This saddle is so battered. :roll: Now I know why I never threw it out in 20+ years. :mrgreen:
  • Manc33
    lol @ sales, he won't be going bankrupt anytime soon...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Cycle ... 565b1bffe4

I want something like this but that nose is definitely too fat.

The saddle on now has rips in the fake leather. :cry:
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    That saddle looks like one of those toilets specially built for obese americans.
  • Manc33
    I like this but its not got rails.

EM9TrwG.jpg

How flamboyant...

XeRFTRi.png?1

Nicest saddle ever 8)

Again, no rails. I'd have that on my (black) bike.

This one from Jenson USA has rails, I think...

9vwW17y.png?1

Love it. :D
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    I've never understood how anyone can be comfy on saddles that fat.

Or Brooks saddles either really.

Each to their own though.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Manc you should start a blog instead of running this thread like your personal saddle facebook.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    birdie23 wrote:

My Brooks B17 is the only saddle I've ever had that was all day comfy out of the box.

Most of Manc's recent postings look like accessories for a ride-on mower :shock:
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    keef66 wrote:
    birdie23 wrote:

My Brooks B17 is the only saddle I've ever had that was all day comfy out of the box.

Most of Manc's recent postings look like accessories for a ride-on mower :shock:

I just can't imagine my rear enjoying it. I have enough problems with my thighs rubbing a Selle Italia X1 (terrible for your bibs!) never mind on something fat.

The most recent saddles all look horrific. Why would anyone stitch a quilt to their saddle?!
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • Manc33
    I want that black quilted one, seriously. Its literally like an armchair. Yeah it looks absurd I agree, but no one sees it if you're sat on it. :P

At the moment I have got a woman's saddle on (cheap foam one) and it is really comfy. It is very wide at the back, but not as wide as the above "cruiser" saddles.

I don't even know what a cruiser bike is. I just look at that saddle and think "yes".

The Brooks Colt was the most comfortable... but I am sat on the rivets with that. The Colt has big rivets unlike most of the other saddles Brooks makes. Tried hammering them back in but they already are, I think its collapsing.

The carbon one I have is probably alright if I get used to it but I want extreme comfort. :D

I realized tonight, that women's saddle has been on 3 bikes before this, I mean I always end up going back to it. What's funny is I have taken off a £120 Brooks and put on a £5 "Argos bike" saddle and its so comfy.

Remember that Yellow Pages advert (the one that brings a lump to my throat) where the father says "Look at that saddle, it would be like sitting on a razor blade" well, its true lol, if you're not racing you might as well be comfy.

http://www.eco-wheelz.com/catalog/dimen ... 4b6ae33bd0

Says it has standard rails. Its the only one in black I know of that does.

Its stylish! Its like a smoking jacket lol.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    FWIW the Nitto seatpost offers some really big setback.