Route planning

rodofgod76
rodofgod76 Posts: 31
edited August 2014 in Road beginners
I'm looking at potential routes for my new life as a roadie, and was wondering if anyone knows of any apps or website's where you can plan your route, view the profile of it and share it with your mates?

Comments

• fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    You can do that on strava then send it on
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • On the app or website? I'm brand new to Strive, been using Endomondo for years for running, hiking and mtb, so not familiar with it's features. :oops:
  • fudgey
    On the website. My mate sent me some routes the other day so it is possible. I have not personally done it yet tho.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Strava is ok but you have to pay to download routes you want to create. Garmin Connect is a great tool for route planning and putting on a Garmin or smartphone.

Alternatively, go exploring. forget setting particular routes and just ride and see where it takes you for a bit then when you find a route you like save it and follow.
  • Just had a play about with the strava route builder......quite good for what I want. Mainly viewing the profiles of an area.

I just bought a Garmin Edge 200 last weekend so have Garmin Connect. Will check that out. Also up for good old fashioned exploring too.
  • fudgey
    We dont download the routes, just kind of get an idea of where we want to go/distance and set off...
    Sometimes get lost but thats all part of the fun of it. Ha
  • defbref
    defbref Posts: 15
    ridewithgps.com
    mapmyride.com
    gpsies.com
    bikeroutetoaster.com
    cyclestreets.net

as well as those previousl mentioned and probably loads more!

I use ridewithgps.com
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    I find RideWithGPS to be the best.
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    I really like mapometer http://gb.mapometer.com/
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Get one or some Land Range 1:50000 maps of your area. These are great as they show a relatively large area in enough detail to plan a bike ride. You see can which are major roads and which are B roads or lanes. It also shows the contours so you can see how hilly a ride might be. Then once you have planned a ride go out and do it, if a section isn't very good (traffic too busy road surface very bad) next time find a alternative around this. Keep trying a variety of routes and in no time you will have a 'bank' of rides you can do. These routes can then be stored in your head.
    The best way to share a route with your mates is to ride it with them.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Tried all of them I think, always go back to RidewithGPS. It's the best by far IMO.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • bad_ash
    bad_ash Posts: 47
    I've been using mapmyride, however one (rather large) issue I've found with it is that it's very linear in that you have to plan the route from beginning to end in order. Sometimes once I've planned a route I've decided it would be better to change a part near the beginning and the only way to change is to undo every single step, make the change and then re-plan the rest of the route. Similarly if copying and amending someone else's route I've had the same issue. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Paper maps are still best for creating and finding roues. Digital is good for storing and sharing.
    Sustrans have some good exit routes for cities.
    the ctc members know all the routes in your area, backwards.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    whoof wrote:
    Get one or some Land Range 1:50000 maps of your area. These are great as they show a relatively large area in enough detail to plan a bike ride. You see can which are major roads and which are B roads or lanes. It also shows the contours so you can see how hilly a ride might be. Then once you have planned a ride go out and do it, if a section isn't very good (traffic too busy road surface very bad) next time find a alternative around this. Keep trying a variety of routes and in no time you will have a 'bank' of rides you can do. These routes can then be stored in your head.
    The best way to share a route with your mates is to ride it with them.

This, using a map is not difficult and is rewarding. A skilled map reader will have a good idea of what the terrain will look like, a good idea of break out points and how suitable the road is likely to be.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    To start with I just looked on google maps and made a list of village names to go through. It was easy to navigate using road signs, exploring and regular riding. When I got up to 50 miles I had a good idea of where things were and just rode.