Shimano XT M780 10 Speed Rear Mech Kerchunk/Clang

ScareyJ
ScareyJ Posts: 64
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Okay so out riding and my rear mech is now real noisy, changing from Big to Small sprockets, through the range, Loud enough for people to turn around and look in horror!

Changing up, small to Big is still Quick and barely audible.

Everything is clean and lubed, and moving freely, including the chain.

What's going on?

tia

J

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Might sound stupid but have you checked that the clutch is actually engaged?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • ScareyJ
    Apologies, I just realized the shadow went on a different bike!

Have updated the title.
  • declan1
    ScareyJ wrote:
    Apologies, I just realized the shadow went on a different bike!

Have updated the title.

I was the stupid one here - shadow+ is the clutch mech, not ordinary shadow.

Anyway, have you got a chainstay protector installed? They help a great deal with chain slap.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• ScareyJ
    Yep, got one installed, but it's not chain slap, it's a very mechanical clang when changing gear, when riding on the flat.

I know the mech didn't do this in the beginning of ownership, it was barely audible.

cheers

J
  • declan1
    ScareyJ wrote:
    Yep, got one installed, but it's not chain slap, it's a very mechanical clang when changing gear, when riding on the flat.

I know the mech didn't do this in the beginning of ownership, it was barely audible.

cheers

J

Is it indexed correctly? If the indexing is out the mech can make some horrible noises changing gear - sometimes a grinding noise when changing up and a big clunk when changing down.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Have you checked that the chain routing through the mech is correct and hasn't passed "outside" the little tab on the cage?*

*Don't ask me how I know this (shame face!)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ScareyJ
    Hi Guys,

Yep indexing on the way up and down is spot on, It just sounds like a shotgun cartridge going of sometimes, when changing down.

Chain routing is correct, and no worries we've all done summat daft!

Should also add, it's only doing it when pedaling under load, (Not short shifting), not when it's in the repair stand, being hand cranked.

regs

J
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    You say it's indexed ok but I think I'd still be inclined to slacken off the shifter cable and start again as per this guide...

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... derailleur
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8