Cassette teeth missing???

mickisup
mickisup Posts: 295
edited August 2014 in Workshop
How could this happen?

What is the risk when riding/racing?

Noticed a couple of worn and missing teeth on the biggest gears.

Many thanks

Comments

• andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    If you lose enough teeth, you will be forced to get a new cassette and chain as your gears will keep slipping.
    Still, if it's only a couple of teeth, you've got a way to go yet. :wink:
    This is how far I got :-
    DeadSprocket.jpg
  • Mark_P
    Mark_P Posts: 51
    It's caused by the chain running onto the sprocket from too great an angle, I believe. As in granny gear on the rear cassette and big chain ring. Although it looks like the reverse in the photo above.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Mark_P wrote:
    It's caused by the chain running onto the sprocket from too great an angle, I believe.

And therefore much more likely IMO with the proliferation of compact chainsets (where it's a pain to keep changing front and rear to keep a decent cadence and a decent chainline), plus people who want to use "all the gears" - after all "if I've got 11 I want to use them all" and damn the chainline.
  • gloomyandy
    gloomyandy Posts: 520
    But that is a 17 tooth cog, which normally will be around the middle of the cassette so you would expect the chain line to be pretty good when using that one, wouldn't you?
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    hungry rabbits

or shonky gear changing skills
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Just to confirm, it's definitely a broken tooth and not one reduced in size, used to help shift is it?

See the small sprockets at 6 o'clock.

92170-largest_1_Record_11_cassette.jpg