What bike can I buy - up to 3k but no Canyon or Rose?

Gazmania1
Gazmania1 Posts: 87
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
I know this sort of thing has been done to death but on all the threads I've found people tend to recommend Canyon or Rose and I'd like to get opinions excluding them. Basically I had a Canyon Ultimate SLX and am getting a refund after a nightmare experience and terrible customer service so I don't want to deal with an online only bike company. So would appreciate bikes only available to get in a LBS.

Would consider frameset recommendations as well and getting something built up - was looking at a Boardman SLR 9.8 frameset if anyone has any experience of that.

It's coming up to end of season sales so if anyone has clocked a good offer perhaps we could start listing them on here if it's useful to people?

Cheers in advance if anyone can help.

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Sounds like you need to get down to said LBS and make some friends and try a few bikes out. You could get something that really suites you. Only you will know what you like.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    How about a Focus Izalco Team SL 4.0 - German design but available through LBSs. Great value as they don't use an importer and you would have 500 quid change from your budget:
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/focus-iz ... wwodN6AA0Q

Focus have announced their 2015 range so maybe some deals soon on the 2014 models, or you could wait till the new ones are in store.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Condor Super Acciaio.

Campag Anniversary 80th edition from Planet X.

Campag Zonda wheels.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    So know you know what everyone else knows. ie looking online at any old bike blah blah blah

Now you know what all theses previous posters like. Don't mean square root of f@$k all.

Only way you are going to find a bike that is right for you is to decide what you want to use it for. Is it racing/competing , occasional group ride, commuting , fitness etc. Then decide what is the most sensible geometry to get. No point getting an aggressive bike of you are not into racing, also no point getting a more relaxed comfortable ride if you do. Then see what you look the like of. ONLY YOU know that!!! Forget what others throw at you. Then find a dealer for what you have short listed in your local area.

You say no online only so that discounts Canyon, Rose (as mentioned) Planet X , Dolan, Ribble. That leaves almost any other make open to suggestion. Italian brands are a little over the average in price and brands like Specialized and Trek are a little below average. Giant and Cannondale will always make great bikes and offer great deals.

End of the day, you NEED to sit on a bit and ride it to know what is best for you. A decent bike shop will always let you try before you buy. If you not stuck on a big brand then you can find a great bike if you are prepared to look around. Most Carbon frames are pretty much the same in the price range you are looking at.

I'll leave it there for the sheep to regurgitate random google/Evans/Wiggle/CRC/whatever they can find that really you could have done yourself anyway bollox.

Happy bike hunting
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    why no love for ROSE? my mate had a nightmare with Condor and ended up getting a Rose, which he really rates, the customer service I ve had with them has also been v good, far better than I would have got with an lbs.

Boardman? don't they use bb30 and that "could" be another headache for you.
  • ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    edited August 2014
    Find Bianchi Infinito CV somewhere,absolutely great bike. I think it is even nominated for the bike of the year.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    Lots of good suggestions, but if it was my 3k I'd get in touch with Epic Cycles and buy a Look 675.
    I had one and it really is a very good all round bike and the build quality on the frame is superb.

I'd also have a look at a Ritte, a Scott Foil and a Venge, just because I like them !
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    I forgot a Basso Astra, I'd love one... :D
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    You can build a good SLR 9.8 for £3k.

Here's my 9.2S

rKwG3ib1.jpg

BB30 isn't an issue on these. The whole BB is as stiff as a farmhouse table and silent. The SLRs are awesome bikes and climb like they are connected to a drag lift.

My GF has a Di2 Bianchi Infinito. It's a bit heavier than the SLR (by about 1kg), but another great bike and worth considering.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Gazmania1 wrote:
    I know this sort of thing has been done to death but on all the threads I've found people tend to recommend Canyon or Rose and I'd like to get opinions excluding them. Basically I had a Canyon Ultimate SLX and am getting a refund after a nightmare experience and terrible customer service so I don't want to deal with an online only bike company. So would appreciate bikes only available to get in a LBS.

Would consider frameset recommendations as well and getting something built up - was looking at a Boardman SLR 9.8 frameset if anyone has any experience of that.

It's coming up to end of season sales so if anyone has clocked a good offer perhaps we could start listing them on here if it's useful to people?

Cheers in advance if anyone can help.

£1000 off Colnago C59 framesets right now if you can find one in your size. Still over 2k but sure you can find decent bits to bolt onto it for 1k? Wouldn't touch Canyon with a barge pole either. Too many horror stories of endless waits and cracking frames for my liking. Don't seem to hear this with Rose. Less popular maybe? As stated depends what you want to do with it.

For 3k you could also spec a Ribble 872 with full DA and top end wheels. As they are in Preston you could also visit them if the online thing bothers you. Good service from them when I bought mine.