cracky noise from cassette

Laurens82
Laurens82 Posts: 4
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

I have question concerning a cracky noise when I put force on the pedals and I came to the conclusion it definitely should come from the cassette.
Here we go:
I have two same types of bike at home. Cube Ltd comp. One is mine anno 2008 (assume bike A) and the other is my friends' bike anno 2007 (bike B).

Bike B its cassette was worn out CS-HG50 9 speed (first original cassette) and I replaced it by an Xt M770 9 speed.
Since then it became a big issue with lots of creacks and cracks each time force was set on the pedals!

Pre-information: replaced or already done/tried:
- outter cable and inner gear cable, rear derailleur and hanger and adjusted following the normal procedure -shifting is ok, new bottom bracket, chain line measured and ok, chain replaced and checked for stuck links, wheel hub and body cleaned and correctly assembled again - no play on wheel when fixed in frame and hub spacer placed. Everything greased where needed...standing on pedals and no force on the seat post...

I came down to the conclusion by doing the following:

Wheel A and cassette A (from bike A) on bike A, all ok
Wh B and cs B so new XT (from bike B) on bike B, not ok cracky noise
Wh A and cs A on bike B, all OK
Wh B and cs B on bike A, not ok

Wh A and cs B on bike B, not ok
Wh B and cs A on bike B, ok

Swapping the body A and B wasn't a success too.
So I believe the conclusion is correct: the wheel isn't the problem, are you with me??? :?

I sent back the new cassette XT back to the shop...and ordered a new casette but being afraid it can be different specs between XT cassette and body original of bike B...therefore I ordered a cs-hg500 cassette and installed this one on bike B...
Can you guess the result yet? Yes indeed cracky noise again!!! :shock:

Can someone please help me out because I have no ideas anymore...

The only possibility I still think of is that the specs between body and inner teeth to fit properly the cassette onto the body changed over the years, since 2007/2008 and now? Could it be? So replacing the body? But why cs A works and B not??

One last thing: CS-HG50 where all sprockets are fixed to each other except the two smallest sprockets which are separate, I can move a bit the fixed sprockets back and forth indepently at cassette A (non cracky cs) comparing to new cs (B) where the sprockets are still firmly 'welded' as one part. Could this be a reason?

Thank you in advance for replying on this topic. All help is welcome and hopefully there are some experts between you!

Comments

• Can't believe no one has helped
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Crack or creak? I ask as you wouldn't say a cranky noisy, you would say a cracking noise, but you would say a creaky noise.

If the cassette locknut is torqued correctly then once the teeth have settled against the freehub splines there is no force to move them back, so I doubt it is the cassette.

Despite your testing it sounds either unrelated to wheel or at most a freehub issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Sounds like a dead freehub to me. It may have looked ok when you stripped and cleaned it but it could be cracked which might only show up under load.
  • Thanks for replying!

Cassette is torqued correctly 50 Nm even tried 80.
    Will try freehub later this week when it arrived and come back to you.
  • Got a new KMC chain today and the cracking noise was gone!
    The chain before was a new Shimano chain...

So this topic can be closed then!
    Thanks anyway for your ideas!