Non Uk bike buying

ncn
ncn Posts: 123
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
I know there isn't the same constraints with buying abroad as there used to be and since I am on the look out for a full sus steed to add to my collection it got me looking about.

My short list so far is-

Mondraker foxy xr
Yeti SB66

Also I am open to other AM ~150mm travel options, anything I should be looking at/avoiding.

Finally the reason for the post where is best to look at ordering a Yeti?

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ncn wrote:

Finally the reason for the post where is best to look at ordering a Yeti?

Cheers
    Your local yeti dealer.

Your warranty is with the seller.

Many retailers will not sell out of their area.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    nicklouse wrote:
    Your local yeti dealer.

no the warranty is not with the seller unless the seller gives you such a warranty.

you have protection under the sale of goods act and an EU directive which is with the seller, this is different from a manufacturers warranty. SRAM give you a 2 year warranty on their products and you can (if the shop does it) send it back for warranty repair from any SRAM dealer. However, should you wish to exchange or get a refund you have to go through the actual dealer you bought it from as that is covered by the sale of goods act. Say within the first 6 months the frame snaps you can ask for a repair, refund or exhange unless the cost of repair is more than the cost of the actual bike. This is through the seller due to the sale of goods act but if you want to use the warranty you don't have to go through the dealer you bought it from. If the warranty was through the seller then you would have to take your car back to the exact place you bought it from to claim the warranty.
  • ncn
    I had a look and there doesn't seem to be a local yeti dealer, only retailer in the UK is Silverfish and all it says on their website is trade item only.

Looks like I will either have to buy when in the states next year and for go warranty like you say or choose a different bike.

Cheers for the info.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Dude, there are hundreds of yeti dealers in the UK. Where do you live?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    My 2 second google search turned up these guys as yeti dealers in the UK -http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/brands/yeti-bikes/

no idea if they are near you but I am guessing some people havent figured out the whole internet revolution and ease of finding information yet.

What I just did was type in "yeti bikes UK" to make it more specific replace UK with say the county you live in if it was, say, Berkshire - you might get these responses: https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=yeti%20bikes%20berkshire

I wouldn't seek to buy direct from USA for a Yeti as most dealers wont send abroad as it goes against their sales agreement with the distributors. I might use it as an excuse for a holiday to go buy one though but then you lose the savings on the bike!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Have a look at the Pivot Mach 6 - just picked one up myself, and it's great
    Bikes:
    Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
    Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
    Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • ncn
    I actually hadn't got as far as googling directly, just clicked through from the yeti site at retailers in UK and all that came up was Silver Fish!

Thanks for the quick google lesson though ;)

Also for reference I am in Scotland/Dundee at present but moving further north soon due to work nearer to Inverness.

I have since been advised against yeti though as they are prone to cracking???

Will take a look at the Pivot cheers!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    POAH wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    Your local yeti dealer.

no the warranty is not with the seller unless the seller gives you such a warranty.
    Er yes it is.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown