Daft question - where the heck can I get a chain guard

Missybiker
Missybiker Posts: 73
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm a newby loving my 2nd hand Giant Expression - made the fatal error of standing up and changing gear and my chain fell off. I'm up for a challenge and managed to get it back on - but I had to take the plastic guard off first. As I unscrewed the tail end of it, the plastic broke. So, now I have 3 screws, 2 holes on the guard and 3 holes on the actual bike. Not a problem I thought, I will simply look on line or call a few bike shops. BIG problem - no one seems to stock them (actually, they dont just not stock them, they dont provide them) and I really dont want to get my socks/ankes/pants grubby every day.

(in the meantime I have screwed the 2 screws on, but when I went out for a ride its rattling like billio.

Anyone know where I can look. Giants website it pants unless you want something superficial. Thanks everyone....

Comments

• Missybiker wrote:
    I'm a newby loving my 2nd hand Giant Expression - made the fatal error of standing up and changing gear and my chain fell off. I'm up for a challenge and managed to get it back on - but I had to take the plastic guard off first. As I unscrewed the tail end of it, the plastic broke. So, now I have 3 screws, 2 holes on the guard and 3 holes on the actual bike. Not a problem I thought, I will simply look on line or call a few bike shops. BIG problem - no one seems to stock them (actually, they dont just not stock them, they dont provide them) and I really dont want to get my socks/ankes/pants grubby every day.

(in the meantime I have screwed the 2 screws on, but when I went out for a ride its rattling like billio.

Anyone know where I can look. Giants website it pants unless you want something superficial. Thanks everyone....

A bike shop should be a better bet.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    I don't think standing up and changing gear is considered a "fatal error". Might need to have a look at your derraillerur limits. Lots of videos on the Youtube to help should you need.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Chainguards are almost unobtainable as retail items.
    here is SKS Chainboard Chromoplastic Chain Guard

Consider repairing your 'guard with a metal washer and 2-part epoxy.
  • Hi fellow forum chaps!

Thanks for your input, all of the bike shops I have called don't have bike guards, I even called a giant Store and they said they couldn't order me one as we don't hold them in stock. anyway I finally went into a Giqnt Store and they ordered me one!

As for looking cool, I'm riding a bike after an absence of 39 years. I'm 53 I weigh 12 stone (really love my food) am 5ft 6 and will NEVER, EVER look cool on a bike, which is cool by me, because one of the joys of ageing is that you really, really don't give a toss what anyone thinks. Thanks everyone, much appreciated